Sony announces new slimmer PSP with Video-Out!

newpsptopnv3.jpg

Yep, it looks almost the same.

It's not quite the PSP 2 some might've hoped for, but Sony is giving its handheld console a serious refresh in the form of a slimmer, lighter and faster "updated" PSP. The new unit still includes the 4.3-inch LCD and UMD, but is 33 percent lighter, 19 percent slimmer, has sped up game load times and improved battery life. The only real "new" features is a video output capability to allow you to play your PSP games on a big screen TV. You can score one in September in the original Piano Black, a new Ice Silver color, and a Star Wars Battlefront special edition. The latter two PSPs come in $199 bundles with related games and a 1GB Memory Stick in the case of Ice Silver. More pics after the break.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/11/sonys-n...s-video-output/

Screenshots: http://www.engadget.com/photos/sonys-thinn...r-psp-hands-on/

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. Seems a bit unnecessary to me. It doesn't look THAT much slimmer. As for the battery and speed up, you can get better batteries for the original PSP, and game loading times aren't too long at 333mhz.

Meh. Seems a bit unnecessary to me. It doesn't look THAT much slimmer. As for the battery and speed up, you can get better batteries for the original PSP, and game loading times aren't too long at 333mhz.

I wouldn't surprised that they call this Sony PSP faster because it's by default clocked at 333mhz.

I wouldn't surprised that they call this Sony PSP faster because it's by default clocked at 333mhz.

Yeah, but all the newer UMD's are supposed to be running at 333mhz anyway. :)

Yeah, but all the newer UMD's are supposed to be running at 333mhz anyway. :)

Guess I'm behind the times, nevermind then. :P

I think i'll pass on this one. I heard a rumor about a new Wii (Wii 2) that will come out i think next year, supposedly with a blueray drive and better graphics. I will wait and see what will happen. I am not in a hurry for buying new consoles or handhelds as fall semester is going to start in about 5 weeks and im busy with ma P Sh*ty games (PC games).

I think i'll pass on this one. I heard a rumor about a new Wii (Wii 2) that will come out i think next year, supposedly with a blueray drive and better graphics. I will wait and see what will happen. I am not in a hurry for buying new consoles or handhelds as fall semester is going to start in about 5 weeks and im busy with ma P Sh*ty games (PC games).

Recheck your rumor sources!

Wii with a Blu-Ray Drive? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):P

Aren't I the shizzle for the low down on rumors? Anyways what Ahmad is saying is completely false, there is no indication, nor any signs that a new type of Wii is coming out, hell Nintendo is still trying to catch up on all the friking pre-orders.

Recheck your rumor sources!

Wii with a Blu-Ray Drive? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):P

http://www.gametrailers.com/bonusround.php?ep=7&pt=3 Half way through.

It might not be true. They also think its stupid. Im just saying what they say in the video.

They say in the next two years (09), not next year sorry.

Edited by Ahmad89

Aren't I the shizzle for the low down on rumors? Anyways what Ahmad is saying is completely false, there is no indication, nor any signs that a new type of Wii is coming out, hell Nintendo is still trying to catch up on all the friking pre-orders.

Wrong, NOJ confirmed shortly after launch, that a DVD enabled Wii would be released.....they just didn't say when.

As for it being released outside of Japan, who knows.

Oh and back on topic, is this thing costing any more than the current PSP? If so, I'd hope it's not because of the video out, because that capability is easily run straight off the video encoder in ANY portable.