Sony announces new slimmer PSP with Video-Out!

I would pay up to $60 for a cable that could do that. That would be awesome as for the ones that have homebrew on the PSP could easily play CPS2, GBA, etc. games on the big screen TV. Oh, it's a dream, but could it really happen?

Some are saying the serial port at the bottom, which is where the video stream comes from, has a different number of pins to the current model's, and so it won't be possible.

Who knows though- I thought the signal would come from the mini-jack and not the serial thingy. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

And to avoid any confusion, the pre-production units run 3.60. Also, the icons used for the 'Connected Display' menu are all in firmwares from 3.30 upward.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would pay up to $60 for a cable that could do that. That would be awesome as for the ones that have homebrew on the PSP could easily play CPS2, GBA, etc. games on the big screen TV. Oh, it's a dream, but could it really happen?

Some are saying the serial port at the bottom, which is where the video stream comes from, has a different number of pins to the current model's, and so it won't be possible.

Who knows though- I thought the signal would come from the mini-jack and not the serial thingy. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

And to avoid any confusion, the pre-production units run 3.60. Also, the icons used for the 'Connected Display' menu are all in firmwares from 3.30 upward.

Well forget about the official firmware that will be on it. There were always be custom firmwares available for download. :)

Hehe. A week or so ago I would have agreed with you. Now I'm doubtful.

Sony isn't naive enough to release a new hardware revision without making things more difficult for hackers. And although I hope this isn't the case, I have a sick feeling there won't be all the interest in this new model that there was at the PSP's debut either. Interest in hacking I mean.

If I hear good things about the slimmer PSP getting hacked... I might jump the DS ship... might. There are quite a few good games for the PSP... but I'm really naive about how I would go about doing the things I do on the PSP that I do with my DS... if you catch my drift.

Here are more comparison shots: http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery...;result_page=11

It also shows how the new UMD latch works. IMO, this new PSP seems much more cheaply built than the original.

Is it just me, or does that bear a striking resemblance to a cassette deck in the top end of the UMD slot? Leftover 80's Walkman parts?

your going to use TV out for PSP emulation?

First of all PSP emulation kinda sucks, sorry, but its just not that good, second its awkward to play anything on a PSP, the controls are weird feeling.

Just hook your PC up or use an xbox/dreamcast/whatever

I'm sure everyone by now can agree that Sony is just doing thing for money and to promote "better" anti-piracy schemes on the PSP. Most people that buy a PSP usually only do it to hack it and not to play the actual games on it but for emulators to play other systems' games. Nintendo has done almost nothing to block homebrew on the DS except for trying to block internet access for homebrew apps which can be easily worked around by setting the wifi router to channel 10 instead of the default channel 11.

Edited by Haldrie

your going to use TV out for PSP emulation?

First of all PSP emulation kinda sucks, sorry, but its just not that good, second its awkward to play anything on a PSP, the controls are weird feeling.

Just hook your PC up or use an xbox/dreamcast/whatever

I agree PSP emulation is kinda lacking... but it is portable. You can take your PSP anywhere and play on a TV- that's pretty cool.

Also this new model has 64MB of RAM, as compared to the old one's 32MB. So maybe some better emus are in order?

Finally its D-pad is better than the current one... and...

CPS/NEOGEO emulation is perfect!