Annoying Popups - Need Help

hairytash

OK they werent IE popups but messenger (not the msn version) popups.

apparently the spam sites have found a new way to get you, the only thing i dont understand is why ZoneAlarm was letting them through?

Oh and I heard Google toolbar is spyware.

This is a network messaging service built into 2K/XP, that some people/organizations are exploiting to advertise or just be stupid f****** morons.

I can only tell you how to stop it in XP (I've never used 2K)

Go to your ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS and select SERVICES.

In there you will find a process running called MESSENGER.

Right click on it and hit STOP, then right click and hit PROPERITES and set it's STARTUP TYPE to Disabled.

Poof, no more of those annoy popups.

P.S. I don't use XP Home either (I use Pro), so if you do use XP Home and you can't do this, I can't help you.

The Google Toolbar has a setting that lets you stop your browsing habits from being collected. If you disable the "advanced features" then using the toolbar is not very different from using Google's pages. Here is an excerpt from a PC Magazine article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,904096,00.asp

Google collects a good deal of information about your query. It records not only what you searched for (when you activate the advanced Toolbar features), but several other pieces of information as well, including the time of day, the type of browser you're running, the language your browser uses, and your IP address. Many times, after giving you a list of Web sites that match your search, Google will also record which sites you actually visited. "Google may choose to exhibit its search results in the form of a 'URL redirecter,'" reads Google's main privacy policy. "When Google uses a URL redirecter, if you click on a URL from a search result, information about the click is sent to Google."

Of course, the company collects all this information if you enter a query directly into Google.com without using the Toolbar. The problem with the Toolbar is that, if the app's advanced features are running, Google also keeps a record of every single site you visit—whether you're using the app to search the Web or not.

One of the advanced Toolbar features is a service called PageRank. With this activated, when you visit a Web site, a small PageRank icon in the toolbar gives you a rough indication of how popular the site is. If the site is particularly popular, you'll see a long green line. If not, you'll see a short green line. When this service is turned on, Google keeps a complete record of every Web site you visit. "If you choose to enable the Google Toolbar's advanced features (e.g., viewing the PageRank of web pages)," says the Toolbar privacy policy, "the URLs of the sites you visit will automatically be forwarded to Google." The only way Google can provide the PageRank service is by collecting this information.