Microsoft extends 360 Warranty to 3 Years...

Microsoft Admits Hardware Issue, Extends 360 Warranty

Includes retroactive reimbursement for previous machines.

By Patrick Klepek, 07/05/2007

Microsoft announced today they are extending all Xbox 360 warranties to three years, a policy that not only applies to new consoles but retroactively, as well. If you've had to pay for Microsoft to repair the red ring issue in the past, they will pay you back. At 2:30 p.m. PST, Microsoft will hold a teleconference to announce this.

"As a result of what Microsoft views as an unacceptable number of repairs to Xbox 360 consoles, the company conducted extensive investigations into potential sources of general hardware failures," said the company in a statement. "Having identified a number of factors which can cause general hardware failures indicated by three red flashing lights on the console, Microsoft has made improvements to the console and is enhancing its Xbox 360 warranty policy for existing and new customers."

This comes just after 1UP's own story about a man who's gone through 12 different machines since purchasing an Xbox 360 near launch, reports overseas of companies refusing to repair the hardware because the load is so overwhelming and responses from the Forza Motorsport 2 team about users experiencing hardware failures while trying to play that game.

"The majority of Xbox 360 owners are having a great experience with their console and have from day one. But, this problem has caused frustration for some of our customers and for that, we sincerely apologize," said Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Division. "We value our community tremendously and look at this as an investment in our customer base. We look forward to great things to come."

Microsoft says they'll be taking a "$1.05 billion to $1.15 billion pre-tax charge to earnings for the quarter ended June 30, 2007 for anticipated costs under its current and enhanced Xbox 360 policies."

Ouch.

- 1up.com

I think thats one reason not to buy a console at launch and wait at least 1 to 2 years before buying a console. That way there will be no hardware failures, lots of games for the consle and overall a less headache :P

Edited by Ahmad89

Which begs the question as to why it hasn't yet been rectified? Then again, the 360 has gone the longest without a price cut - 600 days or so - which is unheard of. Maybe they haven't changed much under the hood of the 360 in the hardware revisions so far. They certainly haven't got round to that 65nm process yet.

Anyway, a tip of the hat has to go to Microsoft for doing the right thing... eventually.

This is good news for me, my 360 the other day got the 3 rings 3 times in the same hour. Thankfully all it required was a boot, last time I got 3 rings I ended up waiting a month for the thing to come back.

Which begs the question as to why it hasn't yet been rectified? Then again, the 360 has gone the longest without a price cut - 600 days or so - which is unheard of. Maybe they haven't changed much under the hood of the 360 in the hardware revisions so far. They certainly haven't got round to that 65nm process yet.

Anyway, a tip of the hat has to go to Microsoft for doing the right thing... eventually.

Beyond the occasional drive change and chip optimizations, they still haven't done the 65nm chips, but nANA is in.

I'm simply not buying one until a REAL modchip and a new XBMC comes with it. Infact, I'm buying another Xbox 1 for the purpose of putting in my room, as my couch in the living room ain't so great for watching movies late at night.

There are a few major flaws they should have corrected right away, like the X-Clamp system.

man im glad i didnt pay to get mine fixed, about 2 weeks ago mine got the red rings for the first time, and i called to get it fixed and they where gonna charge me 140 dollars!!! WTF is that?!?

I tried that rediculous towel thing because i wasnt going to pay 140 dollars and it worked O_o i guess if it happens again ill send it in though