Hotswap, and what to install now?

Rancord

Ok I found a ncie tutorial, to build a xbox hd out of an other big hd I have using hotswap.

Ok Now what do I need to isntall? I wanna use emulation/backups and xbox media center. Do I have to care about bios flashing, or does xboxhdm take care of everything itself?

Edited by Rancord

XboxHDM doesn't do anything for you but access the FatX filesystem and allow you to work with it. You still need to prepare the files in each drive (Located in the XboxHDM package as folders named for each) and copy the needed dashboard files.

If you want to run homebrew (Emulators and XBMC) you'll need a modchip or softmod, and since you're hotswapping I assume you're going softmod. You'll need to use a softmod package like NDure, and place the files in the appropriate XboxHDM folders before creating an ISO with it.

ep thanks, I prepared the Things, and even took care of that hdd password with liveinfo. The only thing wich bother me, is that I want to install a package, where I dont have to do all the hotswap and dont need any tools anymore. so If I use this ndure package, will I be able to do further things witout much work? :P

You need to dump your EEPROM/HDKey with EvolutionX (Or any tool that will do it) and put it in your EEPROM folder in XboxHDM.

That way if you ever want to do it again, or you screwed something up, you won't need to hotswap. You can just unlock the HD in XboxHDM and do your thing, and then lock it again (Don't forget to lock your drive, you MUST or you won't be able to boot).

You'll still need to hook the hard drive up to your PC, but won't require hotswapping. Just start up, unlock the drive, reboot XboxHDM and copy your files, then lock the drive.

Infact, if you're putting in a larger hard drive, you will require the EEPROM/HDkey to start with, so softmod your original drive and get them, then just run XboxHDM on the other drive and lock it.

I was finally able to do nearly everything except one thing. I cannot install the alrger HD. I folowed tutorials, and what it does it starts the xbox screen then shows the microsoft logo, and then nothing happens anymore.

You could very well have a v1.0 Xbox, which doesn't display error codes (Or so I'm told). The most likely problem, is that you forgot to lock the larger hard drive. You MUST do this.

I have myself run into the same problem however, when the drive was indeed locked.

Make sure you're starting up the Xbox with the power button and not the eject button, as the eject button in most softmod packages starts the MS dash.......and if it's not present, you'll freeze up. Sometimes even if it's there, it doesn't like to start very quick either, so wait a few minutes. After the first time getting the MS dash to load, it should go smooth after that.

Thanks dude, the problem was something I dunno I fixed it with the backup of orginal dashboard. But I flocked up one last time, now it starts only msdashbaord but I allready modded the harddrive. Any chance starting the unleash savegame starter wich is on the disk?

Thanks

I'm not sure, I've never used savegame methods. Though I do know you require one of a few specific games to use a savegame exploit.

The easiest way would be to hook the drive up again, and copy the softmod files for C. If you replaced the dash with the original backup, you overwrote the loader for the softmod. xboxdash.xbe is actually the launcher, you would have put the original file back when restoring a backup, and that is why only the retail dash loads.

I'm not sure, I've never used savegame methods. Though I do know you require one of a few specific games to use a savegame exploit.

The easiest way would be to hook the drive up again, and copy the softmod files for C. If you replaced the dash with the original backup, you overwrote the loader for the softmod. xboxdash.xbe is actually the launcher, you would have put the original file back when restoring a backup, and that is why only the retail dash loads.

it starts deafault.xbe wich starts the ms dashboard and udeafault, wich would be the unleash.

The Xbox looks for xboxdash.xbe in the root of C, this in a softmod, should be a launcher that in most cases points to E:\dash\default.xbe which is something like UnleashX by default (Power button) and in the case of a dual dash launcher, xb0xdash.xbe (Eject button).

Though if you have a softmod that has the option of not using a dual dash setup, your launcher *should* always launch the default.xbe wherever it points to.

Unless you have a modchip, the Xbox boots and looks for xboxdash.xbe in the root of C, ALWAYS. So this file should be your softmod launcher, and the true MS dash should be xb0xdash.xbe.

This is dependent on the softmod method you are using, but all the better known ones work this way.