New PSP exploit

Needs to be confirmed.

http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/beware-of-...illuminati.html

Following research in conjunction with Archaemic, Noobz are proud to present the first ever all-firmware exploit for the PSP. Based on Lumines, the "Illuminati" exploit is a user-mode exploit using a buffer overflow in the savedata file - similar to the GTA exploit.

That's right - if you've got a legal UMD copy of Lumines, then you can run homebrew on your PSP - whatever the firmware version. That includes v3.50! Right now, the only homebrew is the Hello World demo released below - but in future we intend to release a HEN and downgrader.

To make the exploit work:

* Check that you have an EU or US version of Lumines (ULES00043 or ULUS10002). Currently we don't have a version for the Japanese version, but we're working on it, as soon as we get hold of a Japanese UMD.

* Extract the contents of the 'MS_ROOT' folder from the ZIP file into the top-level of your memory stick. (HINT: If you wind up with an 'MS_ROOT' folder on the stick, you've done it wrong).

* Start the game, and as soon as it gets to the 'Press START' screen, press START. If you wait until the demo has started, the exploit may not work.

* The screen should go blank, and the exploit will start after a few moments. It doesn't do anything except look pretty at this stage - but feel free to enjoy the first homebrew on your v3.10 - v3.50 PSP

If you don't own a copy of Lumines, why not go and buy one? It's cheap these days, and it's a great game - get it before it gets patched!

Thanks to Emuholic.

I just hope Sony will stop fighting the hackers and just concentrating on giving us good games on PSP. Nintendo turn a blind eye on DS piracy and continue to churn out their top series and continue to garner in cash.

Sony, you can do the same!

I just hope Sony will stop fighting the hackers and just concentrating on giving us good games on PSP. Nintendo turn a blind eye on DS piracy and continue to churn out their top series and continue to garner in cash.

That is because Nintendo is making money from each DS unit sold- they charge more than the manufacturing costs. Sony is not- they take a loss on each unit and have to rely on the software to turn a profit.

Thus homebrew, and by way of course, piracy, hurts Sony more than Nintendo, who can choose to turn a blind eye. Everyone picking up PSPs just for homebrew will kill the machine.

That is because Nintendo is making money from each DS unit sold- they charge more than the manufacturing costs. Sony is not- they take a loss on each unit and have to rely on the software to turn a profit.

Thus homebrew, and by way of course, piracy, hurts Sony more than Nintendo, who can choose to turn a blind eye. Everyone picking up PSPs just for homebrew will kill the machine.

Are you sure they lose money for each PSP sold? PS3, yes, but PSP? I really doubt it.

I am positive they have lost money on PSP manufacture. If they don't anymore, then it has only been a recent change.

Sony always implement cost down, especially after their products are launched. I am sure the price reduction done recently is due to they have managed to make the cost lower for PSP.