1GB ATi Radeon X2900XT Released

With leading-edge graphics cards getting more and more dedicated RAM shoved onto their PCBs, it's only surprising that it has taken this long for a 1GB single GPU card to hit the market. Diamond Multimedia has just announced the launch of its Radeon HD 2900 XT 1GB, which packs a full gigabyte of GDDR4 memory, second-generation unified shader architecture, 512-bit memory interface, integrated CrossFire scalability, and built-in HDMI support. Moreover, it also includes ATI's Avivo display technology, dual-link DVI output, HDCP compliance, and DirectX 10 support. No word just yet on what kind of premium you'll be expected to pay for this momentary claim of superiority, but we'd wait for the benchmarks to see if it's even worth the extra coin.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/11/diamond...eon-hd-2900-xt/

First 1GB GPU released basically (not counting cards designed for CAD/actual work of course) If only the card itself wasn't so much of a let down (2900 XT in general), i was looking foward to this card for a real long time.

Well, I guess it will be better than the other HD 2900 XT's... 1GB > 512MB, GDDR4 > GDDR3... but yeah, what will the price be?

Unless it sports a faster/larger general bus and ring bus, these "upgrades" will be worthless.

Quite frankly, I don't see the point in this anyway. I'm running Oblivion at 1024x768 with details on MAX (Even INI tweaks to bring things up a notch) on my single x1650 512MB, and I plan on adding a 2nd card in Crossfire soon.

I can't see a use for a card like that, not until a couple years from now. Then again, if you have a bloated to hell off the shelf PC, I guess you might need the extra horsepower to compensate for the luggage your system drags around with it in the background.

I guess I see IJTF's point... why buy a video card that will cost more than all the other parts in my computer combined when I can run Oblivion, SupCom, and HL2 at full detail with a res of 1280x1024 with my Radeon X1600 PRO?

1024x768 is not going to let you appreciate the graphics of anything these days.

It's not far from 720p, which as far as I'm concerned is where the buck stops with displays under 50 inches. (With PC possible resolutions, 36") Over that you MAY be able to see what something like 1080p has to offer (720p looks better than 1080i IMO).

I have a 19" PC monitor, resolutions of any higher give no real noticeable difference, especially when I'm moving around in a fast paced game. And I don't know about you, but I don't stand still for minutes on end in ANY game.

If I hooked it up to my 32" widescreen HDTV, I'd probably notice a larger difference.

Agreeing on what Cinder has said. It's practically the reason why I'm still using my 15" LCD and haven't opt to get a new one in the last 6 years.