CPS-3 Encryption Broken and Partially Emulated!

I'll stick to my Dreamcast, for the 4 out 6 games on this hardware available on it.

None of which I even like (But that's irrelevant), and are certainly going to be a BIG waste of space on one's hard drive via CPS3 emulation.

I'm VERY surprised anyone is even wasting their time emulating CPS3, what with only 6 games (3 of which are Street Fighter games), it has to be the record holding interchangeable platform with the lowest # of titles on it.

Even the Hyper Neo-Geo 64 has more titles for it, and that thing BOMBED.

Oh though don't get me wrong, kudos to the devs and good luck.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the best explanation of the CPS3 encryption system that I have found. Basically, if the hardware notices any tampering, it'll self destruct or erase the decryption key. Therefore, it can get costly for the hackers if they don't know what they're doing.

For any of you who are confused,

Cs-3 used a protection scheme so complex it makes AACS look like a joke. Here's the overview:

Every time the system is powed on, the game memory (RAM) is filled from a CD-ROM drive. The game is encrypted, so obviously you can't do a CDROM dump, nor can you swap out with a homebrew CDROM unless you know the proprietary encryption algorithm + key

The RAM is decrypted on the fly by a special decoder chip with no spec.

The decryption key for the above hardware decoder chip is stored in volatile RAM with a finicky battery keeping it in memory. If you reset the circuit with the decryption key (NOT the arcade machine itself, but the part with the decoder chip), or there's any error in the decryption process, or heck, if the battery goes dead, the decryption key is obviously no longer stored in said volatile RAM, and you're left with a brick.

Basically, if there's any funny business, BAM, the secondary logic board commits suicide and no more game decrypting for you.

The article claims that Andres somebody wrote a program that can read the data right off the CDROM and decrypt it. But Andre's blog (warning: spanish is not my first language) seems to indicate that he may have found a weakness in the algorithm but it's far from a working decrypt/game rom.

http://www.digg.com/gaming_news/CPS3_decry...t_near_you_soon

I'm solely in the Warzard boat since it is the only one there I have never played or even seen a machine of, and since CPS-3 emulation is likely the only way I'll ever see it.

Playing as Hauzer in CFJ and then seeing his different moves in an old Red Earth vid really piqued my interest.

I'm solely in the Warzard boat since it is the only one there I have never played or even seen a machine of, and since CPS-3 emulation is likely the only way I'll ever see it.

Playing as Hauzer in CFJ and then seeing his different moves in an old Red Earth vid really piqued my interest.

I play the original Warzard once only. I can't remember much of it though.

I do remember the Lion guy (what his name?) with his moves like Ryu B)