Starcraft II

I'd agree with no super weapons but the no defense part seems kinda crap. I mean, defense is crucial in generals... hell I know it's alot of fun when I see people trying to get into a base that I build to be impenetrable and they can't, all the while I build up my forces and attack when they least expect it hehe...

hell, if you play laser general all you do is build laser defenses and aurora bombers.... when you have some awesome defense and about 12 bombers, pop the map reveal power, send bombers to bomb each and every

builder, main HQ and vehicle factory and you have an instant-win... kinda overpowered if you think about it...

the thing is the lack of defences makes it almost impossible to turtle, and no superweapons with defences allows exactly what you do, turtle your base up and makes it almost impeneratble, so the best way to balance it, is no superweapons and no defences.

btw, there's a very simple way to defeat your strategy, in fact your strategy only works if you're playing against an idiot or something.... all i need to do, is build more units (than you) while you're building defences.... then all i really hafta do is make enough of my units reach your power, drop it, and you're finished (usually before you get the chance to build aurora bombers, and even if you do considering the airport is easily destroyed)

Gla, Airforce, or china tank would OBLITERATE your strategy.

and that's assuming you're playing 50,000

now if you're playing 10,000

get ready to get RAPED.

as all i would need to do, is send a few rocket men and a few quads (or tanks, or whatever combination really) get them to your power and/or supply dock, and bye bye you.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not Generals expert, but I played GLA against a Super Weapons/Laser general (forget which), and I couldn't touch him at all. He knew it, too, he likes to play around with strategy games, so he let me build as many units as I could. I tried all sorts of different long range stuff, but none of it could get close enough to do anything. Once your big ass force is squeezed into a tiny little ramp there isn't much you can do.

Overall, I was displeased with how weak Dr. Thrax felt compared to all the other generals. Any strategies for playing as him?

the reason Superweapon kicked your ass would be one of two:

1- map built where the only enterance to his base was a narrow choke point

2- you took too much time

Dr.Thrax is formidable, not as strong perhaps as normal gla or Demolition, But toxin is still Gla,

Gla are rushers, they have a bad late game, but a very good early game considering their tunnels and their cheap units...

first of all, are you playing 10,000 or 50,000 cause strategies differ greatly... regardless, if you're playing against superweapon i wouldn't bother much with defences because a superweapon player usually uses aurora bombers mroe than normal units (and your normal units can rape superweapons ground or air forces)

if you're playing 10,000 then you need to cripple his economy early, you can do this easily with gla (faster access to a war factor) by:

queue 2 workers by pressing "k" twice on the loading screen

first work build a supply

place the second worker next to where you want to build the arms dealer

third worker send near opponents base

when supply done, build arms dealer

send first worker to build barracks

when arms dealer done build 2-3 quads

when barracks done build tunnel in your base, and have the worker near the enemy base build a tunnel

(btw, seliing your Command center is optional)

(queue two workers in the supply when you have the money for it, and send one or two of your workers to the supply)

now, here's the thing, if your tunnels are done before your two quads are done, send them and the rocket men spanned from the tunnel into the tunnel, and come out next to his base, and try to hit his supply doc,power and dozers (and whatever else you can get really), once his economy is crippled, he's over (and it'll usually be crippled cause he'll have built up defences instead of units)

now if you're playing 50,000 or 75,000 it gets fun... REALLY fun.

queue 9 workers by pressing k 9 times on the loading screen

first worker, builds supply

second builds barracks

(optional) third goes near opponent base

rest of the workers place them where you want to build your arms dealers

once supply done, build 5-6 arms dealers, queue 9 workers in the supply

(optional) once barracks done build tunnel (you should build these anyway)

once arms dealer done, queue one radar van, build palace, queue quads in all arms dealers (except one you could queue for scorpions, but i perfer quads)

once first batch of quads is complete, hotkey them to a numeral (say 1) and head to opponent base (through tunnel or physically)

everytime you hear that some quads are done, add them to the hotkey by pressing 1 then e twice and hotkeying 1 again.

flood his base.

btw, in both plans you should consider building up the rest of your base while attacking when you have the money for it.

General plans for playing with thrax:

more or less the same, unless you're playing against infantry, which in that case, tunnels and toxin troopers are your best friends alone with a few scorpions (toxin more or less RAPES infantry)

just need to realize which units are best for which maps, that's all. but toxin IS powerful.

I'm pretty sure they are gonna do Diablo 3 next, I mean whats left?

At least i hope so, the main blizzard games i liked where Starcraft and Diablo/Diablo 2, Warcraft never did it for me (i think i was able to play it for like 20 minutes) and World of Warcraft, Well after realizing you are just doing the same exact thing over and over again, also gets boring. Which is exactly why i think they should NOT make a Starcraft/Diablo MMO, But it will probably suck like WoW.

But look how impatient i am, they just announced SC2, and im already like GIMME D3!!!

I'm not Generals expert, but I played GLA against a Super Weapons/Laser general (forget which), and I couldn't touch him at all. He knew it, too, he likes to play around with strategy games, so he let me build as many units as I could. I tried all sorts of different long range stuff, but none of it could get close enough to do anything. Once your big ass force is squeezed into a tiny little ramp there isn't much you can do.

Overall, I was displeased with how weak Dr. Thrax felt compared to all the other generals. Any strategies for playing as him?

Elazul makes good points about playing GLA- I've never used them seriously. Still remember though that the Generals themselves are insanely imbalanced and the GLA really got the short end of the stick. As mentioned they have to capitalise on the early game, but I don't think they have the ability even then to offset their staggering later weaknesses. In short don't feel too bad about that loss.

At least i hope so, the main blizzard games i liked where Starcraft and Diablo/Diablo 2, Warcraft never did it for me (i think i was able to play it for like 20 minutes) and World of Warcraft, Well after realizing you are just doing the same exact thing over and over again, also gets boring. Which is exactly why i think they should NOT make a Starcraft/Diablo MMO, But it will probably suck like WoW.

But look how impatient i am, they just announced SC2, and im already like GIMME D3!!!

Completely agree. Think about it though.. Starcraft - Starcraft II is roughly a 10-year gap. Blizzard also is confirmed to be working on multiple projects- SC2 and D3 wouldn't necessarily compete with eachother either so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the Diablo announcement at Blizzcon or elsewhere later this year, with a release about 8-12 months after Starcraft II.

Elazul makes good points about playing GLA- I've never used them seriously. Still remember though that the Generals themselves are insanely imbalanced and the GLA really got the short end of the stick. As mentioned they have to capitalise on the early game, but I don't think they have the ability even then to offset their staggering later weaknesses. In short don't feel too bad about that loss.

Not unless you know how to use them properly, their scorpion tanks for example... 8 scorpion tanks cost as much as an upgraded overlord tank, and CAN destroy the overlord and still have a few of them left

their Quads are cheap and more or less can RAPE airplanes, their battle busses filled with rocketmen... TOTAL OWNAGE.

their toxin promotion can clear the way well for a sneak attack.

their rebel ambush can be used to clear hard to reach garrisoned buildings (if toxin) steal buildings sneakily (if stealth or normal gla with upgrade) and destory alot of units and/or buildings (if demolition)

the gla are incredibly powerful, it just depends on how you use them.

Completely agree. Think about it though.. Starcraft - Starcraft II is roughly a 10-year gap. Blizzard also is confirmed to be working on multiple projects- SC2 and D3 wouldn't necessarily compete with eachother either so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the Diablo announcement at Blizzcon or elsewhere later this year, with a release about 8-12 months after Starcraft II.

Knowing Blizzard's release schedule for games, we can expect a Diablo 3 probably in the next 3 years at least.

I'd agree with no super weapons but the no defense part seems kinda crap. I mean, defense is crucial in generals... hell I know it's alot of fun when I see people trying to get into a base that I build to be impenetrable and they can't, all the while I build up my forces and attack when they least expect it hehe...

hell, if you play laser general all you do is build laser defenses and aurora bombers.... when you have some awesome defense and about 12 bombers, pop the map reveal power, send bombers to bomb each and every

builder, main HQ and vehicle factory and you have an instant-win... kinda overpowered if you think about it...

the thing is the lack of defences makes it almost impossible to turtle, and no superweapons with defences allows exactly what you do, turtle your base up and makes it almost impeneratble, so the best way to balance it, is no superweapons and no defences.

btw, there's a very simple way to defeat your strategy, in fact your strategy only works if you're playing against an idiot or something.... all i need to do, is build more units (than you) while you're building defences.... then all i really hafta do is make enough of my units reach your power, drop it, and you're finished (usually before you get the chance to build aurora bombers, and even if you do considering the airport is easily destroyed)

Gla, Airforce, or china tank would OBLITERATE your strategy.

and that's assuming you're playing 50,000

now if you're playing 10,000

get ready to get RAPED.

as all i would need to do, is send a few rocket men and a few quads (or tanks, or whatever combination really) get them to your power and/or supply dock, and bye bye you.

I'm not really a generals pro but when people have tried that it never worked against a laser general. the defense was simply too strong. and I always have more than enough power plants just in case people try that (usually 7 power plants more than I need).

we never played 10k or 50k, we were like 20k or 25k (forgot) and we wouldn't attack tech buildings like oil rigs if they were captured by the enemy. and I start building aurora bombers late game actually, just so I can get enough time to build up my base and some helicopters to take care of your annoying infantry

trust me, if done properly, it'd work, especially since you're concentrating your finances on defences and power (and the tech building thing is silly really)

anywho wanna play?

i'm always looking for a good challenge.

trust me, if done properly, it'd work, especially since you're concentrating your finances on defences and power (and the tech building thing is silly really)

anywho wanna play?

i'm always looking for a good challenge.

you know I would but there's lots of things stopping me right now. long story short: no decent computer, no time, college coming soon, no original Generals copy etc. but if you can wait till august or september or so then yeah sure bring it.

and the tech building thing is silly but we just did it for fun, they're not really buildable or anything and it's a shame to destroy them and constantly recapturing one was a pain in the ass so we just used a "first come first serve" rule