Dust and Computers ...

Unfortunately, the area in which my computer sits gets a lot of dust. And I'm talking a crapload!

For example, all the intake air holes in the front of my computer are completely covered and blocked by dust. Sometimes, I'd take a small vacuum and suck out all the dust from the intake holes so it can breathe air again. But since my small vacuum doesn't really work anymore, I gave up on it. A friend of mine suggested I take an air can and just blow the dust back through the intake holes so it goes back into the case. He says it'll come out the back side. I don't know about it, what do you think?

I'll probably have to take the computer outside and blow an aircan at the inside for an hour. I'm kind of scared to see how much dust is in the computer itself. I've never opened the case for almost 8 months now.

How do you guys deal with dust? Or do you not get any dust at all?

I bought a small handheld vacuum just for cleaning out the vents. The first time I did it they were clogged shockingly.

I've been forced to be opening and closing my case a lot recently though so it hasnt been a problem for a while...

Certainly on the inside, there's some dust right now (last clean was back in summer 2006). I kept it in a good area where dust doesn't stray that far to the inside of my PC (dust still build up on the outside of the case). However, parts maybe like the HDs and the DVD drives might not as much dusty as the GPU fan or the CPU fan. I know it builds up one way or another (no matter how clean the room is). I guess it really depends on how much time the PC is left on, as the fan continue to made it's cycle it will continue to become more dustier. So I guess if you just spent maybe an hour or 2 everyday, there shouldn't be alot of dust.

edit: btw dust is sorta of a bad thing I remember how dust is one of culprit behind high temperature thats because it's so dirty the fan is prevented from releasing all that hot air. So I guess it does make a diference if you clean out your fans when you notice high temperature from both your gpu/cpu.

they have little paper-ish filter things you can put over your fans to prevent dust from entering, they are like a dollar or so each, pick some of those up.

For me i just vacuum it out every once in awhile. The dust on like the sides and stuff doesnt really matter, just vacuum off your mobo/anything actually electronic - but if you can get the rest it prevents it from possibly moving there later.

I clean mine out once a month with compressed can air. But I don't get alot of dust anymore since I started covering my fans with filters made from pantyhose. I just cut some circles a bit larget then my fans and keep them in place with rubber bands. Then when they get dirty I just replace them with new ones. I only have to do this about once every 2 months. Oh and I have pets so I get alot of dust.

I have a rather big problem with this, as I live in an older building, have a cat and my case sits on the floor.

When it comes to putting filters in your fans, doesn't this pose the problem of restricting air flow? I've got 3x80mm fans. 2 intake in the back, and an exhaust in the top (Heat rises!) and I get alot of dust in there.

I guess with 2 intake and 1 exhaust though, I could filter the intakes and still not be pushing less than the exhaust.

I have a rather big problem with this, as I live in an older building, have a cat and my case sits on the floor.

When it comes to putting filters in your fans, doesn't this pose the problem of restricting air flow? I've got 3x80mm fans. 2 intake in the back, and an exhaust in the top (Heat rises!) and I get alot of dust in there.

I guess with 2 intake and 1 exhaust though, I could filter the intakes and still not be pushing less than the exhaust.

Never had a problem with overheating doing this. If you do you could always just wipe the filter off between cleanings.