Windows Vista

I just bought a new computer and the only kind that the stores at were i live have is windows vista. I would prefere xp over windows but oh well. My question was i read a topic about how micrsoft has the right to take info from my computer. Does that mean if a have roms or burned games that they could tell if they are legal or not. I dont understand what they mean about thier "info" that they are taking from me. Oh and what is the difference between dvd-R and dvd+R. Is one better then the other or one is for certain kinds of formats.

Thanks <_<

Privacy laws have things in place for Microsoft to not be able to collect information from anything other than the software you are using. This means, for Vista, only operating system relevant material.

I heard that microsoft only gets in for on the programs you use, thats it. They cant tell if a its a burned game or not, its just a program. But I bet you can block the "feature".

As for the DVDs, almost none, except older DVD players only play DVD-r/rw. But there is really no difference. They are both good since modern burners and players are dual format.

You could try to block MS with a software-based firewall, but I think they would have ways of getting around that. For example, they might have a deal with Symantec or the creators of Zone Alarm to include a back door to collect information.

Here's the good news -

Any information they get from you without your written consent isn't admissible in court, so they cant do anything with it, In other words, they aren't even going to bother.

The only information they are going to be checking is anything interfering with their anti piracy measures to tell if Vista itself is pirated, and then it will just disable itself, and thats it. They can't even press charges because they have to catch you in the act of downloading. And again, they wont bother because there are probably a ton of false positives.

The people they are suing are the people selling burned copies and stuff.

....but still, get rid of Vista, If you have any copies of XP around, install it yourself, the key works 2 or 3 times (cant remember) and if it doesnt you can call MS on the phone for a new one.

I recently got a copy of Vista Business (i think) for free, and i havent even bothered opening it

I recently got a copy of Vista Business (i think) for free, and i havent even bothered opening it

HAHA Save yourself the trouble and just tuck it in your "goodwill box"

Yeah it says Windows Vista Business 32BIT on the CD (Its just a paper CD sleeve with the key sticker on it)

its probably the most stripped down version besides home basic if i remember right

EDIT: Nevermind, its like Home Premium but without all the stupid windows entertainment apps and more important backup/networking apps that are probably half-assed, i guess its an edition worth owning if you want to run vista, but i really dont.

Whats wrong with vista. Me personally i am used to xp especially becuase i had windows 98 before that and their was no difference between the two (excpet being faster). Why do alot of people hate vista??? And also i have home premium, what the difference between that and ultimate?