Help me think of features that can be added into my game

I'm currently learning 3D game coding. Currently, I don't know anything yet, but my second assignment is to write some features for the game we (a classmate and me) will be creating. It's going to be for PC.

The game will be something like Resident Evil which is a game with opponents attacking you on sight, and some puzzles to solve in order to continue with the game; and the bad part is I only recently played one (Resident Evil 3, and I suck at it so I don't really know what other features are there in the game). Therefore, I need some ideas that can be added/changed so as to improve the game.

So far, I only thought of some ideas,

1) Different types of weapons have different ways to use. Like a rifle, you can hold on the shoot key to shoot continuously while for pistol, you must press shoot continuously in order to shoot.

2) Let some puzzles be optional. Optional puzzles let the player gains items or a shorter path (instead of not solving puzzle and has to walk a long long way).

One more thing, how is a puzzle in Resident Evil like?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puzzles in RE are usually about placing the right item in the right slot or engaging a certain system at a specific time. Say you move a box in one place, then press a switch, then repeat for different spots. RE puzzles are sometimes just plain old annoying.

how about you use the zelda theory of thought for puzzles?

that the whole game is open in front of you, but you can't open that pathway without a certain item.

edit:

btw, by 3d coding, do you mean engine coding or game coding?

it differs btw.

I would recommend going the Silent Hill (random solutions) route for puzzles as Resident Evil puzzles are very easy to catch. As a matter of fact, I still remember every single puzzle from Resident Evil 1.

btw, by 3d coding, do you mean engine coding or game coding?

it differs btw.

Engine is optional, we can use our school one or use free ones on the net. So, we need to code the game and graphics.

I would recommend going the Silent Hill (random solutions) route for puzzles as Resident Evil puzzles are very easy to catch. As a matter of fact, I still remember every single puzzle from Resident Evil 1.

Yeah, and I remember a bunch of Silent Hill puzzles, and flock they were out there. I still remember being giving this short story about a monster eating a girl's face and being expected to pull a four digit combination out of it. Then there was that puzzle that expected me to know five of Shakespeare's plays.

The puzzles in Silent Hill (4: The Room... my favorite) are f**king insane. Don't be shy with making your "player" be able to more than run around and shoot and hit stuff. You should be able to duck and peak around corners to shoot -- that sort of thing. Even in the later Silent Hills and other games of this genre you're still just a basic avatar that runs around and hits stuff with a club or shoots.