Current state of Xbox emulation?

weaksauce

I'm coming to the modded Xbox scene somewhat late in the game, but I am interested in emulators. I currently have a modded Xbox that has a "game" in the XBMC Program's directory called CDX, which loads a menu with NES, SNES, Sega, etc. However there are no portable or MAME games. So my first question is, is CDX just a menu frontend or what?

Second question, what is the current state of Xbox emulation? I've done some reading and came across the BAED disc sets (Disc 1, 2, 3A, 3B, 3 Extra); are those the most current discs? If so, do I need ALL the discs or just the latest #3 discs for the complete set? I also ran across BAED Evolved, so I'm even more confused now. What do I need in order to have the quote-unquote complete set?

CDX is an alternative to MenuX, and is rather silly to have it installed on the hard drive. It's used on demo discs/game discs to launch programs/music etc.

I'd just follow the above advice, and get the latest emulators from Xbins and put them on your hard drive. Using CDX is just an extra, unnecessary, step you would be better off avoiding.

As for the BAED discs, quite useless IMO. They're probably not up to date anymore, and you're better off simply FTP'ing over the roms you'll actually use to the Xbox hard drive. Of course, donn't ask for them here.......go find up to date sets and transfer what you want out of them.

CDX is an alternative to MenuX, and is rather silly to have it installed on the hard drive. It's used on demo discs/game discs to launch programs/music etc.

I'd just follow the above advice, and get the latest emulators from Xbins and put them on your hard drive. Using CDX is just an extra, unnecessary, step you would be better off avoiding.

As for the BAED discs, quite useless IMO. They're probably not up to date anymore, and you're better off simply FTP'ing over the roms you'll actually use to the Xbox hard drive. Of course, donn't ask for them here.......go find up to date sets and transfer what you want out of them.

So the best option is to simply get the latest version of the emulators I want, then load up the roms? That sure takes the hassle out of it. I was thinking CDX was some sort of customized disc or something that I was stuck with.

So the best option is to simply get the latest version of the emulators I want, then load up the roms? That sure takes the hassle out of it. I was thinking CDX was some sort of customized disc or something that I was stuck with.

With certain emulators, namely Xport ones, commandline options can be fed...like launching a rom on startup. CDX could be given these, but it's really useless. The GUIs in the emulators are failry easy to use.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Quite useless?

Damn, thanks dude. I only spent a couple hundred hours or so putting those things together and making them as good as I could... And, FWIW, FTPing non-arcade ROMs to the Xbox HDD is problematic, since the supported filenames are about 1/4th the length on the HDD compared to what they are on disc.

Granted, the emulators are out of date (what do you expect after three years?), but I'd hardly call the discs useless.

Maybe I'll get back to working on a new BAED. A lot has happened in the Xbox emulation scene since my personal life took precedence and made Xbox emulation fade into the background.

----ShastaOrange, sole creator of BAED 1, 2, 3A, 3B, 3extra

Edited by ShastaOrange

most of the emulators for Xbox are illegal because they use the official SDK (I don't remember exactly the name :/), which is illegal.

I can't understand why the emulator would be illegal, even if the libraries were stolen...

That just like saying it would be illegal to have a cupboard that you made with a stolen hammer.

I can't understand why the emulator would be illegal, even if the libraries were stolen...

That just like saying it would be illegal to have a cupboard that you made with a stolen hammer.

With the original XBox dead in the water I'm sure no-one cares anymore about programs written with a stolen SDK. Just enjoy them....until we can do the same on a 360 with support for newer games.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great analogy and makes a lot of sense, but it is, indeed, the case. Over on xbox-scene, they host numerous Xbox-related files accessible directly via HTTP. They wash their hands of anything compiled with the XDK, however, pointing users to an IRC channel that provides access to an FTP site.

With the original XBox dead in the water I'm sure no-one cares anymore about programs written with a stolen SDK. Just enjoy them....until we can do the same on a 360 with support for newer games.

Yeah, I doubt anyone cares at this point, either, but it's still illegal (totally unlike BAED1, as I have purchased all 14,620 games on that disc, and I'm sure that the hundreds of thousands who downloaded it did, too :) ).

Until someone can make homebrew happen on the 360, however, the original Xbox remains the best way to emulate one console on another.