What game has the best soundtrack?

Alpha

I'm sitting here on my beaten up leather immitation chair that has rips all over it and decided to create this thread. Why you ask? I'm listening to some old MIDI files I saved about 5 years ago. What's the game? Street Fighter II Turbo. I have never came across any game that had a better soundtrack than this one. I truly believe games like Mortal Kombat and King of Fighters would have been fabulous if they had redone soundtracks.

So what game do you consider has had the best soundtrack of all time? It could be games made 20 years ago or just came out yesterday. Choose your pick. :P

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sitting here on my beaten up leather immitation chair that has rips all over it and decided to create this thread. Why you ask? I'm listening to some old MIDI files I saved about 5 years ago. What's the game? Street Fighter II Turbo. I have never came across any game that had a better soundtrack than this one. I truly believe games like Mortal Kombat and King of Fighters would have been fabulous if they had redone soundtracks.

So what game do you consider has had the best soundtrack of all time? It could be games made 20 years ago or just came out yesterday. Choose your pick. :P

Chrono Cross.

That OST is epic.

Final Fantasy V is also nostalgic.

Edited by DropDeadEd

Silent Hill or Resident Evil but for all you wussies out there I suggest Final Fantasy 7. Though this coming from a metalhead/horror fan can you really trust my opinion?

Final Fantasy VIII is my favourite.

Then comes...

Red Alert 2.. amazing. Just amazing. Hell March 2 is one of the best compositions I've ever heard.

Quake 2 - good times all round.

Silent Hill 1-4 - all good. Can't fault any of them. I'm always stealing effects from them for my multimedia projects.

Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2 - the remixed theme in 2 murders everything else.

Dead or Alive 1 -hektik stuff back then.

I don't think I can choose a best. I can only list good ones. Street Fighter 2 is an excellent start. Some of the music, and especially some remixes, from the Silent Hill series are up there, too. Also, some of my favorite music is from the Command and Conquer series, but all of that's been listed already.

Other soundtracks I love include, Zombies ate my Neighbors, Megaman X, and Advance Wars. Also, specific tracks from certain games are of great quality, too.

Don't Cry Jennifer and Kerosene from Clock Tower.

Suburbia A from The Lawnmower Man.

Stage One from Faceball.

But hell, I could go on like that for a while.

I guess Guilty Gear (a fighting game) music, everything is instrumental metal in the series. They're really good if your a rock/metal fan.

Guilty Gear XX #reloaded:

N.EX.T - korean group doing instrumental progessive metal for the game

Guilty Gear XX:

Daisuke Ishiwatari - and then there's the god behind GGXX:

Daisuke Ishiwatari is the creator of the Guilty Gear video game series. His compositions primarily linger about the metal genre. However, his works are given that much more life, texture, and colour, with regards to his musical influences that include bands such as Led Zeppelin, Queen, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Iron Maiden

Other than that, I'm a big fan of:

Akira Yamaoka: the genius composer behind all silent hill music

Nobuo Uematsu: the brilliant man behind the final fantasy music

The Black Mages: the progessive metal group that Nobuo lead, they do final fantasy songs of course.

hmm the rest:

Darkstalkers 3 / Vampire Savior 2 music

Street Fighter 3rd Strike

Street Fighter Turbo

Street Fighter Alpha 2

King of Fighters 98

Devil May Cry 3

Devil May Cry

Super Mario 64

seriously, there is just too many but the best ones are the ones I bolded I guess.

darn.. smilee just reminded more good OST I forgot.

Zelda OOT, Majora's Mask

Jet Set Radio and Jet Set Future (SUPER BROTHA!!)

Grand Theft Auto Vice City (one of the 80s classic rock channel)

Chrono Trigger

Castlevania series

Soul Calibur 1

Tekken Tag Tournament

Tekken 2

Tekken 3

DJ MAX portable

there's just too many bleh.

Yo make your first move, so what's in gon' be?

You're trapped in the new world of Street Fighter 3.. 3 3 3 3

^ thats the only probably rap song I can not hate cuz the lyrics is true. 3s is the best fighting game ever.

All Final Fantasies, but if I really had to pick a favorite, it would be Final Fantasy VIII.

As far as composers go, in no particular order:

Nobuo Uematsu (self explantory)

Yasunori Mitsuda (Chono Cross, Xenogears, etc.)

Motoi Sakuraba (pretty self explanatory: Star Ocean series, Valkyrie Profile, Tales series, etc.)

Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hills, Contras. etc.)

Akira Tsuchiya (Atelier series, etc.)

Junichi Nakatsuru (Soul Calibur series)

Yoko Shimomura (Kingdom Hearts, etc.)

Shoji Meguro (Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, etc.)

Tenpei Sato (Nippon Ichi's games)

Kenji Ito (Shadow Hearts)

Masami Ueda (Devil May Cry series, Okami, etc.)

Sung-Woon Jang (Magna Carta, The War of Genesis)

Hiroshi Yamaguchi (Okami, etc)

ESTi & Nauts (TalesWeaver)

Minako Adachi (Riviera, Yggdra Union)

Michiko Naruke (Wild ARMs series)

and lots more.

All Final Fantasies, but if I really had to pick a favorite, it would be Final Fantasy VIII.

So overlooked, FFVIII is. It had the best of everything. The soundtrack was no different. Glad you prefer it over the others' too. Liberi Fatali is brilliant opener, Find Your Way is just the right mix of mysteriousness and melancholy and Force Your Way remains my favourite boss music to this day. Eyes on Me perfectly captures the sad romantic tone of the game and the epic The Landing has been crying out for an redone version for 8 years now. That battle between the Gardens makes me want to go and replay the game every time I think of it. Could go on and on, but VIII's soundtrack was really Final Fantasy's best, and now that Uematsu has hung up his spurs I can't see it ever being matched.

To add some western composers to the list, Frank Klepacki and David Arkenstone did wonders with the late Westwood games, and Harry-Gregson Williams really nailed MGS2's cinematics. Can't forget Cris Velasco either- he wrote that unofficial theme to God of War, Zeus' Wrath Devine. I also like the work of Jack Wall- the J'nanin track from Myst III is something I still listen to even now.