Does violence in movies, games, media -- affect humans?

Alpha

Movies: Violence in movies does not affect me at all. Usually it is very far-fetched and unrealistic, so I don't feel threatened. I can also honestly say I feel perfectly safe going into a bank.

Video Games: No matter how many hours of CS or GTA I play, I will never be able to face a fellow human and pull the trigger. If I ever do end up killing someone in cold blood, I don't think I'd be able to live with myself.

Media: I pay no attention to the media. :)

In a normal person, no...period. None of the above affects me, I know it's not real. I was witness to a gruesome car accident back on November 1st 2006, and first on the scene to provide help.

I was 1.5 car lengths behind a head on collision when some fool tried to pass like 15 cars in a row doing 180km/hr and swerved to avoid an oncoming pickup. His passenger door was punched clean through to the driver door, killing him instantly.

That, is something that sticks with me.....not some movie or video game.

People who are already disturbed, are the ones at risk to be affected by media. If you are already a twisted individual, you don't have the mental capacity to realize just how NOT real something is.

In a normal person, no...period. None of the above affects me, I know it's not real. I was witness to a gruesome car accident back on November 1st 2006, and first on the scene to provide help.

I was 1.5 car lengths behind a head on collision when some fool tried to pass like 15 cars in a row doing 180km/hr and swerved to avoid an oncoming pickup. His passenger door was punched clean through to the driver door, killing him instantly.

That, is something that sticks with me.....not some movie or video game.

People who are already disturbed, are the ones at risk to be affected by media. If you are already a twisted individual, you don't have the mental capacity to realize just how NOT real something is.

Like I said, some people are sensitive to stimulation.

I agree with both cases, For example a movie that involves a case of incidents. Lets take a movie called Daylight **SPOILER Alert** For example which involves these workers driving large amounts of substances through the holland tunnel so that they can reach their destination at a faster rate. However 2 criminals drive into the tunnel as they are being chased by cops and bypassing many vehicles. little do they know what they are getting into they managed to crash straight into the substance causing a major catastrophy leaving millions dead and several alive, Although sealed within the tunnel as both the front and end exists have been sealed off by rubbel. Servivors must then find a way out, Though. Many die from lack of air and hypothermia. **SPOILER END**. I Believe a movie like this can cause people to be more cautious and also create a new awareness by watching a movie such as this, which for many can generate fear. People with mental issues can also learn from this type of movie which can turn this into reality despite that many people believe that something like this couldn't ever happen to them.

I agree with both cases, For example a movie that involves a case of incidents. Lets take a movie called Daylight **SPOILER Alert** For example which involves these workers driving large amounts of substances through the holland tunnel so that they can reach their destination at a faster rate. However 2 criminals drive into the tunnel as they are being chased by cops and bypassing many vehicles. little do they know what they are getting into they managed to crash straight into the substance causing a major catastrophy leaving millions dead and several alive, Although sealed within the tunnel as both the front and end exists have been sealed off by rubbel. Servivors must then find a way out, Though. Many die from lack of air and hypothermia. **SPOILER END**. I Believe a movie like this can cause people to be more cautious and also create a new awareness by watching a movie such as this, which for many can generate fear. People with mental issues can also learn from this type of movie which can turn this into reality despite that many people believe that something like this couldn't ever happen to them.

Excellent movie.

Though a better example would have been "A Clockwork Orange"

I think the violence in media affects everyone because it's everywhere in media. We're all going to be continually exposed to it to it might affect us in some way. Like other people mentioned before, most people who are relatively normal can tell the difference between fictional and non-fiction, but there's always those people that'll get heavily influenced by it. .... I'd still find it cool to shoryuken someone though :P

I think the violence in media affects everyone because it's everywhere in media. We're all going to be continually exposed to it to it might affect us in some way. Like other people mentioned before, most people who are relatively normal can tell the difference between fictional and non-fiction, but there's always those people that'll get heavily influenced by it. .... I'd still find it cool to shoryuken someone though :P

Influence is a bit different than Effect.

A Clockwork Orange made me want to wear makeup around my eyes and a durby cap
It made me want some milk plus and I am partial to the odd bit of Ludwig Van. On a more serious note though if someones going to be tipped over the edge by a violent film or game then they are so far gone that a disney film will have the same effect on them most likely. The only effect I've seen violent games have, and I've been playing them for many years, is to give idiots like Jack Thomson publicity and provide a scapegoat for society so they can say 'it wasnt our fault, it was the evil games/films/whatever that turned our little angel into a killer' thereby avoiding any responsibility for the fact they may have messed their kid up by not providing a caring enviroment/being abusive/whatever.