Is my console dead?

I've bought 3 different video cables *A/V cables* for my Dreamcast...RCA, Composite, and S-Video. NEITHER one of them work...the Dreamcast will play the music from the BIOS, but will not display any video at all on my TV. Even when a CD *or GDROM...w/e* is not in the drive and it's playing directly from the BIOS, it WILL NOT display any video what so ever. Of course since it doesn't display any video AT ALL it's not a problem with my GDROM laser, so it has to be something hardware wise since none of the cables worked for it. Anyone possibly know what to do/tweak to fix this problem or am I just screwed without a DC for the moment?

Sounds like there is something wrong with the AV port. Could be as simple as a bent/broken pin, or a blown capacitor. You'd have to know what you're dealing with really.

If you know someone capable enough, I'd suggest letting them have a look at it.

Sounds like there is something wrong with the AV port. Could be as simple as a bent/broken pin, or a blown capacitor. You'd have to know what you're dealing with really.

If you know someone capable enough, I'd suggest letting them have a look at it.

Hmm, I remember opening it up *carefully....I build and repair people's computers for a living so I know how sensitive these parts can be, I'm just no good with solder* I did see a prong seperated from the main board where the AV Port is. Of course you cant just force those prongs back down, you have to actually solder them back on the board in the correct location...sounds like I gotta mail my DC to the repair shop.

Sega recently discontinued their Dreamcast repair service. I can offer up my services if you'd like. I've been meaning to speak with Gamecop again about opening up a modding/repair service here on 1Emulation, where those of us with the know-how can offer up our help on the cheap.

If you're interested, just let me know. If it's a simple matter of fixing a cold solder joint, I'll do it for nothing. All you'd have to cover is shipping.

Sega recently discontinued their Dreamcast repair service. I can offer up my services if you'd like. I've been meaning to speak with Gamecop again about opening up a modding/repair service here on 1Emulation, where those of us with the know-how can offer up our help on the cheap.

If you're interested, just let me know. If it's a simple matter of fixing a cold solder joint, I'll do it for nothing. All you'd have to cover is shipping.

alright, I think I'll hit you up on that offer...I sent you a PM.

I did see a prong seperated from the main board where the AV Port is.

That is the problem I had the same thing happen to one of my older Dreamcast I had a while back nothing major should be a quick fix for Cinder, Sounds like he knows what he is doing under the iron.

Edited by scorpion25

That is the problem I had the same thing happen to one of my older Dreamcast I had a while back nothing major should be a quick fix for Cinder, Sounds like he knows what he is doing under the iron.

That's great to hear! :huh: You know I sold my PS2 for $100 when I needed the money the most even tho the dude offered $110 for my DC? lol call me crazy but I just think gameplay is more fun on the DC over the PS2.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, his Dreamcast got here today, and I have to say........this is the most BADLY abused console I have EVER seen in my entire life. It looks like a bus had it's way with it.

Anyway, I took a peek at the AV port, and lo and behold......every pin but 2 were bent and broken off at the motherboard. Underneath the pins in the port itself, sits a plastic retaining piece, this is broken off.

I'm guessing the AV cord got ripped out of this thing at some point, and hardcore.

I've managed to solder all the pins back on, but it's still not working for me. I'm going to have to take a closer look for any cold joints etc.

I will post pictures when I'm done, the abuse this thing has suffered damn near makes me want to cry.

That's great to hear! :P You know I sold my PS2 for $100 when I needed the money the most even tho the dude offered $110 for my DC? lol call me crazy but I just think gameplay is more fun on the DC over the PS2.

hell yea the dreamcast is the best sega system made i love to play the mvc games on it i still have mine in great condition and people wanted to trade and/or give me money for it but i didn't want to cause mine is chipped and i can play copied games on it so i don't have to buy new games only dvds to put the info in

Ok, his Dreamcast got here today, and I have to say........this is the most BADLY abused console I have EVER seen in my entire life. It looks like a bus had it's way with it.

Anyway, I took a peek at the AV port, and lo and behold......every pin but 2 were bent and broken off at the motherboard. Underneath the pins in the port itself, sits a plastic retaining piece, this is broken off.

I'm guessing the AV cord got ripped out of this thing at some point, and hardcore.

I've managed to solder all the pins back on, but it's still not working for me. I'm going to have to take a closer look for any cold joints etc.

I will post pictures when I'm done, the abuse this thing has suffered damn near makes me want to cry.

Please dont! You'll make me cry too! Makes me think of my DCs... :P