BlackKnight’s PSX on your PSP Tutorial

BlackKnight’s PSX on your PSP Tutorial

Here is my tutorial for getting your PSX games working on your OE firmware-equipped PSP. There are only 3 easy steps-

1) Rip the game with Alcohol or another image-making program,

2) Make the ISO into an EBOOT.PBP file using PSX2PSP, another Popstation GUI or even the command line version that comes with OE firmwares,

3) Copy it to the PSP\GAME folder. Anyway this is the step-by-step version, with screenshots.

popstation-15.jpg

Requirements

1. An Open Edition (OE) Firmware. Link.

2. PSX2PSP. Link.

3. Alcohol 120%. Google it.

4. Any PSX game disc.

5. A copy of HotShots Golf 2 from the PlayStation Network. I’m not even going to hint as to how to get that. Except by buying it, I mean.

Step 1 – Rip the game with Alcohol 120%

-First things first. Create a folder on your desktop called ‘PSXPSP’

-Put your game disc your disc drive. I will be using Guilty Gear: The Missing Link for this tutorial.

-Open Alcohol 120%.

-Click ‘Image Making Wizard’

popstation-1.jpg

-Select your disc drive letter and click ‘Next’

popstation-2.jpg

-Select the ‘PSXPSP’ folder in the left frame, choose a name for the image, and choose ‘CDRWin Image File (*.cue)’, then hit ‘Start’.

popstation-3.jpg

-Wait for the image to finish ripping, then close Alcohol 120%.

Step 2 – Make the EBOOT file with PSX2PSP

-Unpack the PSX2PSP Zip to the folder on your desktop. It should now look like this;

popstation-4.jpg

-Load the *.cue file you just made into the first field, and choose the ‘PSX2PSP’ folder in the second. The other fields on the left side are optional. Leave them as default if you like. The only thing that is important is the Game ID and Save ID. Basically the virtual memory card files that are created for each game are based on these values – if you made a bunch of PSX games using the same codes then they’d all share the same 15-block memory cards.

popstation-5.jpg

-Optionally, you can create some images to go along with the game. They go in the fields on the right. Just as a guide, PIC1.PNG is the background image and should be 480*272. UNKNOWN.PNG (aka PIC1.PNG) is the transparent blurb that appears over it - this should be 310*180. ICON0.PNG is the little icon used for saving and loading - it needs to be 144*80. Here are some I made for Guilty Gear;

PIC1.png

UNKNOWN.png

ICON0.png

-Anyway, if your PhotoShop skills are up to the task, by all means make these yourself. Or you can hit up sites like PixelStation for pre-made ones for a bunch of games.

-If you do include these, put them in the fields on the right;

popstation-6.jpg

-You can also preview what it will look like on your PSP;

popstation-7.jpg

popstation-8.jpg

-Now go to your folder, on your PSP or on your hard disk, of HotShots Golf and find ‘EBOOT.PBP’.

popstation-9.jpg

-Rename it to ‘BASE.PBP’ and then copy it to your desktop PSX2PSP folder, then into the ‘Files’ folder there;

popstation-10.jpg

-Finally, hit ‘Convert’ in PSX2PSP;

popstation-11.jpg

Step 3 – Copy it to your PSP

-Okay, we’re almost done now. I’m assuming you have 3.30 OE-A (or 3.02 OE, 3.03 OE or 3.10 OE) installed already. It really couldn’t be easier - just follow the 3 or so steps listed in the readme and you’re good to go.

-Copy the folder that has appeared in PSX2PSP according to the Game ID value you entered to your PSP.

popstation-12.jpg

-It needs to be in ms0:\PSP\GAME\

popstation-13.jpg

-Now disconnect your PSP and go to Game > Memory Stick, and then locate your game’s icon;

popstation-14.jpg

-Press X (or O).

popstation-15.jpg

-If all went well, you should now have the game working on your PSP.

popstation-16.jpg

popstation-17.jpg

Good luck - hope it works for you!

One more thing to remember though - PSX game compatibility is extremely high, but still varies amongst 3.02, 3.03, 3.10 and 3.30 firmwares. If a game doesn't work on one, you may need to try it on another. Finally, the PSX2PSP GUI I used for this tutorial works with 3.10 and 3.30 - you may not have as much luck on lower versions. For those, use the command line tool that comes with the OE firmware package, or one of the older GUIs released for them. Alternatively, you could just upgrade...

ATTENTION 3.02 OE-A, 3.03 OE-A & 3.03 OE-B USERS

-If you are using one of these lower firmwares, you will also need to copy the 'KEYS.BIN' from your HotShots Golf 2 folder into the final SLUSxxxxx folder that you move onto your PSP. This requirement was dropped starting from 3.03 OE-C.

Anyway good luck again and post any questions if you run into troubles.

Nice tutorial. :P As soon as I get my PSP back, I'll be using this to update my PSX collection. Damn, I haven't payed attention to the PSP scene for ages... :lol:

You should, Mooney. I been having so much fun on my PSP that I decided to sell my Onyx Black DS Lite, which doesn't get much love from me :D

Funny, just about the opposite has happened to me... only I still have my PSP. :) I can't wait to start using all of its amazing emulators again. The DS has some good ones, but the ones for PSP seriously win. I mean, with PSX emulation, it's no contest.

You should, Mooney. I been having so much fun on my PSP that I decided to sell my Onyx Black DS Lite, which doesn't get much love from me :D

Funny, just about the opposite has happened to me... only I still have my PSP. :) I can't wait to start using all of its amazing emulators again. The DS has some good ones, but the ones for PSP seriously win. I mean, with PSX emulation, it's no contest.

Let see, on PSP you can :

- run these emulators

- NES

- SNES

- N64 (haven't tried it though)

- GBA (can't find the image file :(, Mooney can you help?)

- CPS1 & 2 (teh win)

- MVSPSP (Neo Geo = teh win!)

- PSX (teh win)

- watching movies in higher resolution :)

- bigger screen, can't get use to DS small screen

Let see, on PSP you can :

- run these emulators

- NES

- SNES

- N64 (haven't tried it though)

- GBA (can't find the image file :D, Mooney can you help?)

- CPS1 & 2 (teh win)

- MVSPSP (Neo Geo = teh win!)

- PSX (teh win)

- watching movies in higher resolution :)

- bigger screen, can't get use to DS small screen

The PSP is so versatile in that sense it is unfair really to compare it to anything else.

- GBA (can't find the image file :D, Mooney can you help?)

I suppose you mean GBA BIOS? Well, I can help... but I'm not supposed to... :)

PM me. L.S.D only, no noobs.

• 3 months later...