Building a new PC for myself

Well I got my mobo and CPU tonight.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=280097839956 - Mobo

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=220101126776 - CPU

Have to wait a few weeks before I go after some RAM and a video card, but then I can at least get it off the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Guy's, I'm a little confused with Crossfire at this point. Do I need a master card, or is it all done in software now?

Can I go and buy a Sapphire Radeon x1600 Pro, and then add a second one......and I just enable crossfire in the control center? I've seen at least 3 different methods so far, and googling for help just confuses the f**k out of me. ATi's website is just as confusing too.

Nobody here with a recently built Crossfire setup? I'm surprised.

Yeah, you need a master Crossfire Edition card in the primary PCI-E slot (slot zero), and your Crossfire-Compatible slave card goes in the secondary PCI-E slot (slot one).

So you would need to purchase a Radeon X1600 Crossfire Edition card and put that in as the primary, then put your X1600 Pro in as the secondary.

atimanualfc9.th.jpg

Ok so your posting just negated what you said. The manual states newer card models like the X1300 and X1600 Crossfire Ready cards don't require anything external, done in software.

Thanks, at least the manual was a little more explicit than all the outdated junk one finds on Google.

• 1 month later...

Ok I'm up and running on my new PC, got my new x1650 Pro last night.

As for the Crossfire thing, no, I don't require a master card.

This thing smokes the pants off my P4, wowness!