Building a new PC for myself

Ok just to put a damper on any suggestions here, I'm listing what I'm going with and the listed parts are FINAL. I'm set on them, and they are what I want and fit my budget....not to mention FAR exceed what I have (And I'm playing STALKER and Oblivion on this old beast quite well when weather effects aren't going) so even if they aren't "Top End", I don't need "Top End" like your average user does TYVM.

Motherboard: Asus M2R32-MVP

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

RAM: 1GB or 2GB PC6400 DDR2 (May start out with just a single 1GB stick, throw in 3 more as time goes by. 2 to start if price is right.)

Video Card(s): 2x Sapphire ATi Radeon x1600 Pro (I'll be going with just 1 for starters, picking up the second when $$$ permits)

Every other component will be cannibalized from my existing p4 until $ permits upgrade (SATA HD's etc)

The ONE question I really have, is AGP on PCI Express x16. Are there adapters for this? I remember reading before PCI Express was introduced, that this was going to be the case...but I can't find $hit on it anywhere. Is it possible? Do they exist, so I can get my system off the ground a little quicker?

Also, what would be a good point to shoot for with a power supply? I'm knowledgeable enough to get a standard fair idea, but I haven't really kept up on technical aspects for a LONG time now, 600w PSU?

ally have, is AGP on PCI Express x16. Are there adapters for this? I remember reading before PCI Express was introduced, that this was going to be the case...but I can't find $hit on it anywhere. Is it possible? Do they exist, so I can get my system off the ground a little quicker?

I recall nVidia having them before their PCI-E cards hit the market. However, it is severaly bottled necked if I remember correctly.

Not an issue, I wouldn't be looking to game with it. Just want to be able to run it and make daily use of it until I can fork over the dough for the PCIe card(s) I want.

I just got my 933 back up and running on a Dell Lxxxr I got from work (They were gonna toss it, had a Celeron 566 in it), that is for my wife to do her University work on. I'd be giving her my P4 with parts from the Dell in it (PSU etc) and scrapping the Dell entirely.

Got 5 PCs sitting on my floor/dining room table right now, old 933 board Bios dead. Gonna throw the Dell's 566 in it, and sell on Ebay as needing a bios replacement.

1GB of ram should be enough to run most games on xp, AMD Athlon 64 x2 are good CPU's it has better write speed while Intel has currently got better read speed. Most heavy gamers seem to think read speed is important.

Edited by Hexter

Really though? Let me post what my "complete" system (Give or take on certain aspects) will probably be.

Motherboard: Asus M2R32-MVP

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

RAM: 4GB PC6400 DDR2

Video: 2x ATi Radeon x1600 Pro 512MB

Sound: Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1 (Current sound card in my P4, WILL NOT upgrade as I couldn't care for more)

Other PCI cards: 1x Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapters (May go Gb in the future, not sure if I really care though. Motherboard sports 1 onboard anyway, I need 2 NICs. But wireless SUCKS!), 6 port USB 2.0 Card

Optical Drives: LG GSA 4160B (In my P4, no need to replace this, does what I need. Be running on the IDE interface of course.

Hard Drives: 4x 750GB+ SATA II hard drives + 1x 750GB+ PATA hard drive on IDE interface. I'm going all out on this one for storage space, as much as I can cram in there without adding any extra components to support it, I'm sick of having to move stuff around to accomodate, or burning things off when I'm still making use of em.

Other: I currently use a 3.5" drive bay multi card reader, will also have one in the new PC. Uses 2 internal USB ports.

I have LED fans as well, nothing special, I just think they're neat and I like the green glow that lets me wander around my apartment in the dark. You'd think aliens had invaded if you are in my apartment in the dark.

Still think 600w is overkill? I don't, I think it's an overestimation by just a touch, but better than underestimating.

My new PC is this and I have a 450w PS:

Gigabyte 965P DS3

Core2Duo 6600

2 gb PC6400

8800GTS 640 mb

Linksys NIC

Audigy SE

2 SATA HDDs (One is 300 gb and the other one is a 74 gb 10,000 RPM Raptor)

2 PATA HDDs (Both are 250 gb Seagates)

2 optical drives

A 3.5" floppy drive (can't get rid of that yet)

So...yeah, I guess your setup will require atleast 500 with those big HDDs and SLI cards so 600 is a good choice.