Quick and Dumb Question

BlackKnight

Just a quick question because I havn't done much research about the DS, don't have one, never wanted one blah blah... but its basically this;

If I buy a retail DS, and then go and buy a slot-1 card like the R4DS, can I play DS backups with no problems otherwise?

I've read the stickies and gathered that firmware is only an issue if using NoPass slot-2 stuff... and that slot-1 cards play DS backups, just not GBA... Not sure but is this true? If it is, I will just go out and buy one right now. I'll work out how to patch stuff with DLDI and do all the other reading later... just wanted to know quickly if this is definitely possible or not.

Yes, you can play clean (unpatched) DS ROMS with the slot-1 solutions, but not GBA games.

The most important thing is to get a good flash card. Portrait of Ruin is an example of a recent game that is very picky about which card is used. The game causes lock-ups on many flash cards. The current popular pick is the Kingston/Toshiba 1 GB microSD card (SD-C01G SDC/1GB). The problem is that these cards are either assembled in Japan or Taiwan (the sticker on the back of package will say "ASSY IN JAPAN"). The ones from Taiwan are crap, the one from Japan are near perfect. I was using a San Disk Ultra II card in a slot-2 device and didn't have any issues with any game until Portrait of Ruin. When playing PoR the game would freeze on me from time to time. Once I got the Kingston card, it never locked up again.

This site here actually sells the two as a package and specifically advertises that they are the Japanese cards. I've haven't seen the cards sold in any local stores, so I had to buy online. The problem is that most places won't promise to send you a Japanese card, so you just have to order and hope you get the right one. I bought two from Meritline.com for $10 USD each and both were Japanese (they are currently selling for $14). Of course, I see you live in Australia, so I'm not sure where you should buy from.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Thraxen

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i got a jap kingston from amazon seller bluephoton for 10 bucks. works great so far. i luv my r4

it seems like the r4 packaged with micro sd cards are always overpriced. usually charging 20 to 30 bucks for the micro sd.