3.30 update is out

3.30 firmware update is out on network update and the japanese site. Still waiting for the other PSP sites to update with it.

Babelfish translated japanese page

Babelfish translated japanese page with some screenshots

Changes:

+ Playstation network games (Emulated PS1 games) now have a "Disc Speed" option, for either fast or normal speed.

+ All videos can now be played in the /Video folder under the memory stick's root directory.

+ Support for MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video Main Profile (AVC CABAC) with file of size below 720x480/352x480/480x272

+ Videos in the /Video folder now display thumbnails in the XMB

+ Thumbnails for RSS feeds.

The PSAR decrypted with the lastest version of Team C + D's PSARDumper. Also, I've already heard the POPS (ps1 game emulation) works in the latest OE firmware. So at least the disc speed feature can be used immediately by anyone willing to flash that plugin to their PSP.

Couple of additional points:

The video resolutions are NOT the resolution it displays at. AFAIK, it still restricts playback to less than the psp's full resolution :thumbsup1: Now it will just take a larger input video and automatically downsize it on playback. Makes it easier to get more videos working without reencoding.

Second, the update added T-Mobile Hotspot compatability to the PSP. This is similar to what the Mylo has, which comes with 1 year free of T-Mobile Hotspot support. Now there is a six-month free option to all US PSP owners.

It does not show up for non-us PSP owners, just like how the P-TV feature is japan-only.

Couple of additional points:

The video resolutions are NOT the resolution it displays at. AFAIK, it still restricts playback to less than the psp's full resolution :thumbsup1: Now it will just take a larger input video and automatically downsize it on playback. Makes it easier to get more videos working without reencoding.

Second, the update added T-Mobile Hotspot compatability to the PSP. This is similar to what the Mylo has, which comes with 1 year free of T-Mobile Hotspot support. Now there is a six-month free option to all US PSP owners.

It does not show up for non-us PSP owners, just like how the P-TV feature is japan-only.

If that is true then its the most remarkably stupid thing Ive ever heard of. Why would anyone in their right mind want to spend more of their precious Memory Stick space with higher res videos if they are not only resized, but resized below the PSP's native resolution. What was Sony thinking?

Oh well... my PSP is currently at 3.02 OE-A. If DAx comes up with a 3.30 OE soon I guess its time to take the risk of flashing again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, each successive release of DaX firmwares increases in instances of flashing errors.

2.71-SE had almost 100% success rates. 3.03 OE-C had a few bricks and I know a bunch of people who screwed up while flashing 3.10 OE-A.

It's not an enormous risk, but there's still a chance. An unnecessary gamble with a toy that cost me $400 still scares the hell out of me.

doubt there's a risk in upgrading to 3.30. :D unless you're not careful like mooney was.

SAY WHAT, MUTHA flockA?!? :P

Nah, it's all good. At least I still have a chance at getting it back...

DragonKeeper: I wouldn't call it an "unnecessary gamble," especially since upgrading to the official 3.30 might be even more dangerous... I've heard rumors that if you upgrade from an OE firmware to the official 3.30, it bricks your PSP. If that rumor is true, 3.30 OE would be the only option if you want to keep your PSP up-to-date.

or you could just reset back to 1.50 and upgrade to 3.30... :(

and as for bricks I think you just need to pay attention and take all safety precautions... mooney didn't... :)

and then you could possibly reset back to 1.50 then upgrade to a future 3.30 OE-A by DaX directly, it would kinda be safer because you'd be upgrading for the first time. just my 2 cents.

DragonKeeper: I wouldn't call it an "unnecessary gamble," especially since upgrading to the official 3.30 might be even more dangerous... I've heard rumors that if you upgrade from an OE firmware to the official 3.30, it bricks your PSP. If that rumor is true, 3.30 OE would be the only option if you want to keep your PSP up-to-date.

It probably isn't a big deal.. I'm just too paranoid.

Oh by the way, you cannot upgrade to any Sony firmware from an OE- its been disabled. You are actually forced to use the Recovery Flasher to go to 1.50 or whatever and then use it from there. Not that anyone would really want to do that... but yeh...