So my friend let me borrow his PSP

Settings > System Settings > System Information

It should say there what firmware it is. Not that I'd recommend downgrading someone else's PSP, there is HEN, eLoader etc available for versions 2.71 and higher. Mooney should be able to help there.

Btw, there isn't a version 2.29- its just a random user name.

ah alright, im not going to try anything too insane/still not too proven, he wont really care if it works or not because he doesn't ever use it. If it works he has an excuse to use it again.

and it is version 2.71, supposedly this PSP is pretty old too so im guessing it has the older mobo.

if it's not yours i would leave it alone, it's not worth it. i have downgraded and installed oe firmware on 3 psps, and bricked the forth. it still bites me in the ass to this day. if they want it to be hack send them links and let them do it themselves. trust me it really isn't worth all the trouble you go trough when something bad happens. i even told the person that it could brick. had them sleep on it for a day before we did anything. all did me little good when it bricked. the guilt is not worth it.

is there any way to check without opening it? Perhaps by the serial on the bottom?

Do i still have to have GTA to do this? because right now the only game i have his THUG2:Remix

Look at this picture to see if you have a TA-082.

No, you do not need an unpatched GTA UMD. Just follow DragonKeeper's instructions and you should be able to downgrade it just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

okay well turns out he bought the PSP when it first came out, and it is not TA-082 (I checked using that picture anyway) Unfortunately i can't remember the site i used to tell everyone to go to to find PSP files so its a filehunt! thanks for the help.