USB "thumb drive" microSD readers/writers

Derek

Anybody here knowledgeable when it comes to microSD readers/writers that are just like little USB thumb drives?

I'm in the market for a reader/writer for a microSD card, and would rather avoid SD adapters. I've discovered several different kinds of USB devices that do just what I want, normally ranging in price from $12 to $20 or so. Most are similar to this.

Now, I've found a website called "SuperMediaStore.com" and they have what appears to be just what I want. A USB microSD/Transflash card reader for just $5 with free shipping.

I'm just slightly nervous because it seems too good a price to be true. I called their customer service/tech support line, and two different employees insisted to me that the device doesn't read microSD cards, but that it reads SD adapters/SD cards. That seems completely absurd, considering it isn't big enough to use an SD card.

Can anybody offer any input or pointers concerning microSD reader/writer USB drives? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

I say take your chance, I don't think there should be any problems purchasing for that cheap. In any case, I purchased this from CompUSA: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...ash_Card_Reader

if your not a blunt about cost, I say walk into a store and just buy it and be on your way. Besides, microSD cards are becoming cheaper and cheaper. An average Kingston 1gb microSD goes around 20 dollars or less nowadays. So I don't see why a 5 dollar microsd writer would be so suspiciously cheap.

I wanted something that would read more than just SD, allow me access to a USB port and go nicely in the front of my case.

I bought something like this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/USB-2-0-Internal-3-5-Me...1QQcmdZViewItem

Works great, looks neat and supports quite a few card formats incase I ever have someone bring a card over to my place that I don't use myself. I, like you, only have SD based hardware.

I also bought a 5 port (+2 internal) USB 2.0 PCI card to hook it up to, and give me something like 12 USB ports (I have alot of USB based adapters and my camera, printer, webcam......Qoob in my Gamecube).

Just thought I'd throw it out there, that these things aren't expensive at all anymore.

That thing doesn't suppot microSD though but there is an adapter that will work for that that I've seen

That thing doesn't suppot microSD though but there is an adapter that will work for that that I've seen

I still haven't even seen anything that uses microSD, miniSD yes. Most MicroSD cards come with an SD adapter anyway.

• 1 month later...

I still haven't even seen anything that uses microSD, miniSD yes. Most MicroSD cards come with an SD adapter anyway.

Some cell phones and PDA's use them

Some cell phones and PDA's use them

Also, just about every slot-1 flashcard for DS uses microSD (R4 DS, M3 Simply, SuperCard DS One, etc.).