God of War 2

Mag

This is the only last best game to ever grace on a PS2. So I heard after you finish GOW2, the story hasn't end yet but they do tie it up nicely for the next sequel on PS3.

So anyone play it so far? So far I heard two new weapons added and more bosses (the best highlights of the GOW series).

Ive finished it and Ill have a review up in 24 hours. 3 new weapons actually, and a lot more bosses. And yeh the plot is left open for a GoW3 but the plot arc introduced for GoW2 is wrapped up nicely enough. Some SPOILERS- (content, not plot)

Before my review, my basic feelings. GoW1 = quality, GoW2 = quantity. This goes for everything. Its a longer game, but is not long enough to justify the loss of those really nicely animated flashback sequences, the fact that the new magic is nowhere near as cool as the old, and that the much touted improved number of bosses hides the fact that maybe only 1 or 2 are even close to the quality of bosses in the first game. Most consist of either simple, small bosses, creatures that you don't actually fight, and human opponents, who look, battle and speak as though they belong in much lower-profile game. Also wrong with the game is the soundtrack that is largely a bunch of remixes of the first game (Zeus' Wrath Devine in particular) and a plot that just seems like it came out of nowhere, and breaks a lot of the mythology set down in the first game. Most of what you do in this seems even less relevant to the overall story than what you did in GoW1. No one really seems to have a motive for what they are doing, which becomes painfully obvious and annoying.

To its credit, the great gameplay engine is tweaked slightly but for the better. The L1 special moves are more usable in combat. The new weapons, while still not as good as the Blades of Chaos / of Athena / of The Titans, they all are fun to use and workable enough. The Spear of Destiny is your typical longer range fighting tool and can lay down explosive charges on the arena. The Barbarian Hammer is a cool slow, powerful maul that can create shockwaves and cast the Army of Hades. Also the Blade of Olympus is your typical swordly mix of power and speed- you get a chance to use it in the first level anyway. Now you can swing on swinging points using R1 using your blades like a vine- a great feature. Never really used in combat, (except for one boss fight during the end) it definitely has potential. Also an item you get midway allows you to 'parry' moves and then react by throwing them back at the opponent or doing hi-priority counters and is another great touch- its is extremely fun to use.

So its good and bad. It is not 'worse' than GoW1, but it has lost a lot of the tight mythology, great art design and direction, and basically a lot of the charm. I'll try and articulate better in my review but let's just say the Hydra battle was more exciting than most anything you will see in GoW2.

Edited by DragonKeeper

im playing through it now, i like it but i hate there is not as many cut scenes its a good game on its own but i feel like this is like GOW 1.5 they added all the xtra stuff they wanted in the first and just wrapped it up so they can do next gen. welp back to playing

solid: shhhh!

but yeah, I love this game so far. Already pumped in 4 hours during my first play today and trying to max out athena's blade. Enjoying the story and the unique puzzles so far.

so, if i didn't play the first one, should i get the second one?

are you serious? how can you never play the first GOW? I suggest you do that as soon as possible. If you like hardcome games like the DMC (devil may cry) series, then you will feel right at home. I could define this as the most chaotic extreme hack and slash game known to PS2, it's really the sh!t.

as for GOW2, it picks up after where GOW. So you know the answer.

GOW I was ok, everybody says it's the shyt. I thought it was decent. Nice stuff but puzzles tend to get boring from time to time. The battles are fun but I'm not a huge fan of magic. FPS are a bit more fun.