AMD planning Xbox 360 graphics on handhelds

Mooney

No, this isn't another rampant portable Xbox 360 rumor, but the somewhat indirect linkage is indeed notable. Reportedly, AMD is planning to bring "Xbox 360 quality graphics to handheld devices" by utilizing the company's next-generation mobile graphics technologies. Although no real specifics were handed out, AMD is purportedly "working with content developers now in preparation for the arrival of phones" powered by the forthcoming set, and should be made available to handset manufacturers through "discrete media processors as well as through IP licensing agreements with semiconductor suppliers." Already released is a developers toolkit that includes support for both the OpenVG 1.0 and OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics standards, and it will incorporate the same Unified Shader Architecture that's behind the scenes in your Xbox 360. Sadly, we've absolutely no idea which companies (if any) are already on board with this promising technology, but we just have to wonder if Dell won't reconsider its handheld gaming system considering the already amicable relationship with AMD.

Engadget

If I could have a portable system with next gen graphics and a decent battery life, I would be in heaven.

If I could have a portable system with next gen graphics and a decent battery life, I would be in heaven.

Well, I think that you're gonna have to make the choice most companies make when making handhelds:

Size, Graphics, and Battery Life. Pick two.

You can have all the graphics horsepower in the world, but if you can't power it with a CPU with decent horsepower it doesn't mean a damn thing!

I'm sure they'll be able to cram THREE 3.2Ghz PPC cores into a cell phone. Totally!

Forget $600, things become exponentially more expensive if they have to be made smaller as well. My wallet burns at the mere prospect of a handheld with console-class graphics. BURNS.

its still just a tiny little screen with crap controls.

/pass

You cannot have handhelds compete with consoles, consoles with PCs, cell phones with consoles, any any combination of those things. They are entirely different markets that have to exists side by side.

I agree. Handhelds and consoles are different, but the fact remains that if it's made, it will cost bundles and probablly have a nice screen and stuff.

That they are different markets are not entirely true. Nintendo does a LOT with handheld-to-console crossovers.