Buyer's Guide: NDS Flashcards

Mooney

DragonMinded, LiraNuna, and a few others have said that the R4 has crappy DLDI, but the CycloDS has good DLDI. While this probably doesn't mean much to non-devs, it's just something to think about.

Yea... what's a dev or in this case, "non-dev"? And you have an R4, right? Do you think it has crappy DLDI?

Edit: When I went to the "Where to Buy" page on the R4 page none of the links would work and it didn't say anywhere...

And when I went to the where to buy page for the CycloDS it had a few different websites.

Are there any actual stores that sell these? (Besides the Datel ones that you can get at like WalMart, etc.)

Edited by XMorpheus3000

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DragonMinded, LiraNuna, and a few others have said that the R4 has crappy DLDI, but the CycloDS has good DLDI. While this probably doesn't mean much to non-devs, it's just something to think about.

Yea... what's a dev or in this case, "non-dev"? And you have an R4, right? Do you think it has crappy DLDI?

Dev is short for developer, so a non-dev is someone who does not program their own game/apps. As for the R4's DLDI, it always seems to work just fine for me.

Dev is short for developer, so a non-dev is someone who does not program their own game/apps. As for the R4's DLDI, it always seems to work just fine for me.

Ah, ok.

I just read that the CycloDS Evo does have firmware updates. I'm reading a lot of different forums and it seems that the two that are most often recommended are the R4 and the CycloDS Evo. The thing is is that I don't know anything about this kind of stuff so I'm learning as I go.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out which one to get, either the R4 or the CycloDS Evo, based on four things: 1) Ease of use, 2) Able to do a variety of different things/run a variety of homebrew aps, 3) Price, 4) Where can I get it from that's reputable and not have to pay a lot for shipping and wait forever for it to arrive.

Also, I already have an Action Replay (I got it before I learned about homebrew and stuff), so when I get either the R4 or CycloDS Evo, can I still use the Action Replay or does it take the place of it?

Edited by XMorpheus3000

I haven't noticed ANY DLDI problems

about the action replay:

It already contains an action replay built into it(for the roms you may have on it)

you can take the save off your real games and with a conversion have it for use on the device

so the action replay is completely useless unless you still want to use the real physical NDS cards, I just run all my games on my R4 so I never have to worry about loosing a game or taking any with me, since they are ALL on my R4

I actually sold mine to my friend after I got my R4.

Edited by Kloplop321

I haven't noticed ANY DLDI problems

about the action replay:

It already contains an action replay built into it(for the roms you may have on it)

you can take the save off your real games and with a conversion have it for use on the device

so the action replay is completely useless unless you still want to use the real physical NDS cards, I just run all my games on my R4 so I never have to worry about loosing a game or taking any with me, since they are ALL on my R4

I actually sold mine to my friend after I got my R4.

Well, I don't mind having the actual games since I plan on using either the R4 or the CycloDS Evo primarily for homebrew aps, movies, and music. And as for it already having the action replay built in, I figured as much - just my luck. But meh, what're ya gonna do. :clapping:

Still doesn't help me decide which one to get, though :clapping: .

(Is it me, or are there more smileys today than there were yesterday?)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been using my M3 Real for a week or so now. Not much to say except that it has 100% compatibility with NDS roms, homebrew and GBA roms as far as I can tell. Features that might not be apparent from the official site include;

-GBA Slot-2 Card doubles as a RAM / Browser Pak

-You can boot roms directly from the GBA menu list- no emulator required for NES, SMS, PCE, GB, SGB, GBC, GG roms.

-In-built cheat database, RTS and reset options.

• 1 month later...
I have a NDS with the v3 Firmware.

What do I need to buy, and where would be the best place to buy it?

You've got a few options:

- Get a PassMe device and a GBA flashcart (the most old-school option)

- Get a PassMe device and an NDS slot-2 flashcard

- Get a slot-1 flashcard (the newest, and probably best, solution)

You can get all of these at places like Divineo, DealExtreme, EchoStore, etc. Google is your friend.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest antiaverage

This thread is way out of date at this point, but it is hard to keep up with all this stuff so I understand. The hot products now (best on the market) are the following (although the MicroSD could be replaced with a MicroSDHC, but it's not as widely accepted, however it does work in the CycloDS):

***CycloDS Evolution (comes in black and white, identical innards)

[This is what lets you run the MicroSD card on your DS, runs DS software only]

http://www.electrobee.com/cyclods-evolution-p-33.html

***Kingston MicroSD 2Gb (make sure it is made in Japan, they're faster)

[This is what you store all your files on]

http://www.electrobee.com/product_info.php...;products_id=30

***EZ-Flash V 3-in-1 Expansion Pack (get the white, NOT the black, there is a difference)

[This allows you to run GBA games, GBA launched DS software, rumble, and RAM expansion]

http://www.realhotstuff.com/expansion-pack-p-194.html

***DS Motion Pak (you don't need this, it's just extra for fun)

[Motion detection :P]

http://www.electrobee.com/ds-motion-pak-p-25.html

You will definitely need the CycloDS Evolution and Kingston MicroSD 2Gb.

The EZ-Flash is highly recommended as it gives you that extra RAM, rumble, and all the GBA stuff, however you do NOT need it to run 100% of the licensed DS software out there and 95% of the homebrew DS stuff out there, but it will let you run that stuff better due to more RAM and with the rumble feature. If you want to run GBA stuff at all, however, you do need it. You cannot run GBA stuff from just the CycloDS and MicroSD.

The DS Motion Pak is purely for fun. Check out http://ndsmotion.com/ to see what it does and what games it works with, but feel free to hold off on getting it until you feel you want it. It's just a piece of hardware you should know about and consider.

you do NOT need it to run 100% of the licensed DS software

Erm, you need it for the official Web browser software.

Also, the Cyclo is good, the Edge is a very nice clone of that.

Other great available options are the m3/g6 real, the DS Top Toy, and the Supercard One (iirc has MicroSDHC support).

The m3ds Simply / R4DS is also a very good option with quite a broad userbase, incredibly simple to use, decent support, etc.