MAME360

Source

Saw this post at the above link, basically it seems someone is developing a MAME homebrew for the 360.

This is what was said:

We got this interesting email from a trusted developer that wishes to remain anonymous for now. He has been working on a port of MAME and ScummVM for the Xbox360 for some time now. The development and pictures are from a devkit, but with the recent Hypervisor Exploit (kernel 4532/4548 only for now) there's hope you'll be able to run this on a retail Xbox360 some day:

In light of the recent 360 hack and possibility of widespread homebrew in the future, I wanted to share some news with you and X-S.

I've been working on a port of MAME to the 360. I call it 'MAME360'.

Now for a bit about the project:

* It's based on MAME 0.112 and is fairly easy to keep up-to-date (doesn't need any messing around with like Mameox on the xbox).

* Originally it was based on SDLMAME but I've since ported a 360 specific osd layer (so SDL for the 360 exists - as an aside I also have a port of ScummVM in the works too).

* Mame doesn't include any dynarec cpu emulation on anything other than an x86 platform. So any game that is PSX or N64 based for example doesn't run at all well.

* Most other stuff (that I've tried) runs pretty well.

* At the moment it will only run on 360 dev/debug/test kits. Whether it will ever run on a hacked retail box remains to be seen.

Hopefully this will see the light of day sometime soon! :banghead:

Microsoft issued a patch to close the exploit.

I don't see the point in preventing homebrew from being run.

After all, you own the xbox, not them.

Perhaps them and Sony are secretly married.

Microsoft issued a patch to close the exploit.

I don't see the point in preventing homebrew from being run.

After all, you own the xbox, not them.

Perhaps them and Sony are secretly married.

Yeah, the patch came out practically as soon as news of the exploit hit the net. They probably wanted to stop it before "homebrew" evolved into an ISO loader or some such app.

Unfortunately, with the current security implementations, homebrew capability opens the door to piracy. The 2 are one in the same from a security standpoint.

I'm sure with alot more work, and a different method of encryption et al' on retail discs, homebrew could be possible while blocking piracy. This would require considerably more money however, and you'd pay more for the hardware and software.

Matter of striking a balance. XNA offers up some "homebrew" capability, but Microsoft has a pathetic system in place which requires a rediculous sum of money just to use created software. That and the XNA framework is a joke for optimization and every programmer I've heard from, thinks it's a pathetic implementation.

Unfortunately, with the current security implementations, homebrew capability opens the door to piracy. The 2 are one in the same from a security standpoint.

I'm sure with alot more work, and a different method of encryption et al' on retail discs, homebrew could be possible while blocking piracy. This would require considerably more money however, and you'd pay more for the hardware and software.

Matter of striking a balance. XNA offers up some "homebrew" capability, but Microsoft has a pathetic system in place which requires a rediculous sum of money just to use created software. That and the XNA framework is a joke for optimization and every programmer I've heard from, thinks it's a pathetic implementation.

What you say is true... but why bother when the DVD firmware hacks are still around? People have been pirating retail 360 games for quite a few months now and so far there doesn't appear to be anything MS can do about it. So all patching this exploit really did was kill homebrew.