Geforce vs Radeon

Diso

how much money are you willing to spend on a new card?

The new GeForce FX 5900 Ultra has caught up with ATI's Radeon 9800 Pro. I have seen some graphs and tests comparing the two, and they only differ by a few frames per second, but the FX performs better with intense shadows (Splinter Cell). The only bad thing about the FX is that it is $400. ATI is also going to have a new line of cards coming out in a few months which WILL be better than nVidia.

But if you are looking for a good card, go with the ATI 9000 series.

You also forget the FX sounds like a god damn vaccuum cleaner. (Better yet, a Jumbo Jet)

It costs too much, and the Radeon 9800 Pro DOES outperform it.

Psst the shadowing in Splinter Cell is done with vertex and per pixel shading, something the Radeon cards have always done better than the GeForce's (The Radeon 8500 introduced pixel shading).

My two cents. (As you can see, I lean more to ATi for enough reasons to satisfy me)

Oh and ATi's cards can make use of a 24bit Zbuffer (Something even the GeForce cards are said not to be able to do, and I think I heard mention of the FX doing it poorly)

A 24bit Z buffer gives a tradeoff between quality and performance and is better than a 16 bit Z buffer but not as good as a 32 bit (The diff in quality isn't all that noticeable, but the performance can be charted easily)

the new 5900 beats all the radeons at the mo. It'll be interesting to see how both parties tweak the drivers.

I'd have to go geforce i think, i don't like ati at all. Having said that, i have an nforce2 motherboard, and nvidia are pissing me right off...