How would you boost 1Emulation's forum/site activity?

Alpha

First of all, I would just like to say that I don't post much here anymore because I'm trying to reduce my overall time spent on the internet, and also alittle because emulation for me has fallen out of my list of hobbies somewhat. But it was more for the former reason, I still emulate here and there, and 1Emulation is still a great forum.

Having said that, I'm not sure what I can add that others haven't already said - they have all been interesting thoughts, and I'm not a technical, web savvy person. I do think that the name "1Emulation" is misleading if you intend this site/forum to be about gaming in general, and that a name change should be considered.

Some people have expressed the view that this site must either be a niche oldskool site or a next gen site. The two mediums have two different audiences (older gamers versus teens and prepubescents) and I can see how some people think that a site that covers both simply won't work because of the two different styles of content and possible clashes between these two audiences. Indeed, the successful sites I have seen focus on one or the other.

For example, the two old school sites I still visit (being the English Amiga Board and Lemon Amiga, listed here if you want to check out what they do, and not listed here for advertising or anything like that) cater to older gamers, and younger, less mature gamers somehow don't survive long, for whatever reason.

So, you might like to focus on one or the other.

Having said that, I honestly think that there is no reason why one site can't cater to all. You just have to clearly define the areas of the board/site aimed at next gen and next gen audiences, and the sections aimed at retro and retro audiences, and have really good mods watching out for internet arguments between the two that would inevitably flare up. It would be a balancing act, but I'm sure it can be done.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this has probably been suggested numerous times before, but I frankly don't care.

Bring back rom requests as well as introduce a list of "official" working rom sets with identifiable tags or whatnot. Emulation currently is hard to keep as a hobby for me because I don't have the necessary time and when I do find some time I'm having difficulty find perfect dumps or fully-working non-hacked "official" rom sets for Neo Geo and the like.

That would only bring huge amount of leechers, wouldn't it?

not if it's only open to people with 100+ posts :D

Might open it up to spammers instead if they were aware of it? 100 posts of crap, but not strictly spam, would be easy to come up with- we've had new users here over the last month or so that racked up that many in a day or less.

That would only bring huge amount of leechers, wouldn't it?

not if it's only open to people with 100+ posts :D

Might open it up to spammers instead if they were aware of it? 100 posts of crap, but not strictly spam, would be easy to come up with- we've had new users here over the last month or so that racked up that many in a day or less.

yeah I agree, we had that here in the past actually... but if you set the bar up a little higher, say 1000 posts, that would discourage them I reckon

Ok, I've been meaning to contact Gamecop directly about this, but he's never on IRC or AIM when I am and I hate PMs for matters I'd prefer to "speak" about.

I think we should have a "Repair Service" where the users of this site who have the know-how can offer up their services for a nominal fee, and the cost of any parts needed.

I've recently repaired a users Dreamcast that was badly molested, and another user is to be sending his DS my way for screen repairs, I have offered my services to them for free as a means to build some credibility here.

If we set up a section on the site where:

1: Users can register to offer their services, and be approved by the staff to offer them.

2: Users can browse a list of services offered by other users, and select someone to perform them.

3: Possibly have a ratings index on repairers as well as "portal sites" on 1Emu where they can post their work, including pictures, and people can leave comments and/or ratings.

4: Allowing for mod-chippers to offer their services, if this doesn't pose any sort of legal problem (Does it?) and allowing them to sell related products directly from their portal, such as pre-mods. I think a nominal fee for doing so, would also help 1Emu out.

We would need to leave some room for competition of rates between people doing the work, but not allow any drastic charges (Such as charging $50 to fix a minor issue like a broken controller port) that would be bad publicity for 1Emulation.com. Rules need to be set with "standard rates" set in a given range so one repairer isn't drastically undercutting another.

Ok, I've been meaning to contact Gamecop directly about this, but he's never on IRC or AIM when I am and I hate PMs for matters I'd prefer to "speak" about.

I think we should have a "Repair Service" where the users of this site who have the know-how can offer up their services for a nominal fee, and the cost of any parts needed.

I've recently repaired a users Dreamcast that was badly molested, and another user is to be sending his DS my way for screen repairs, I have offered my services to them for free as a means to build some credibility here.

1: Users can register to offer their services, and be approved by the staff to offer them.

2: Users can browse a list of services offered by other users, and select someone to perform them.

3: Possibly have a ratings index on repairers as well as "portal sites" on 1Emu where they can post their work, including pictures, and people can leave comments and/or ratings.

4: Allowing for mod-chippers to offer their services, if this doesn't pose any sort of legal problem (Does it?) and allowing them to sell related products directly from their portal, such as pre-mods. I think a nominal fee for doing so, would also help 1Emu out.

NOt a bad idea Tin-can man! We just need to address a "trustworthy" crew(which may be easier said than done. unless you plan to work by urself) and BAM! 1Emu would reach a new level in sexiness! :)

What a dedicated member! *IJTF_Cinder reached a new level in the sexy meter!!!*

Edited by Shoma

• 2 months later...

sorry for double post, but this is a good idea

(IJTF_Cinder)

we could build custom computers for people that don't know how, or instal new parts on old comps and sell them.

Edited by ben2dx