Why you shouldn't touch Vista

Robert

I might start an blog article called "Musician, you do not need Vista."

What would you rather do? Play on Games or write them. :)

You need a mac HAR HAR HAR.

Seriously, Mac > all others in terms of media preferences.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DX10 on XP? Not fully, that's for sure...even less with this so called "wrapper".

Anyone who has read any articles regarding DX10, knows there is NO legacy support in hardware. All pre-DX10 hardware will run through a software layer. BLECH!

Given how "slow" Vista is in the first place, expect something like an ATi X800 to run like a Radeon 8500....

Vista slower how so ? I have had vista for while now and its not slow here .

Is FreeBSD installed like Gentoo? (w/out an automated installer)

I mean, I've been installing the gnome meta package for gentoo since this morning (there were some periodical pauses), it's already 6 P.M, and it's almost done.

Firefox took 30 mins to finally finish compiling and I can't imagine how long open office is going to take.

Lots of time and discipline.

FreeBSD has no GUI installer, so most of it done on command. Installing server software is the real pain, I had to add apache into the system service manually so it can run on boot, while on Linux and PC-BSD it is all done for you automatically after installing the server software.

I might start an blog article called "Musician, you do not need Vista."

What would you rather do? Play on Games or write them. :)

You need a mac HAR HAR HAR.

Seriously, Mac > all others in terms of media preferences.

I will get to switching to Mac, but right now I'm alright with my PC at the moment. I can agree that Mac OS X is the best for musicians, I been round the mac store in Birmingham and tried out every single mac there the os had a lot of great tools for musicians, but I can't remember the names of these tools. Vista is bad for Audigy 2 users like, the sound card is very dependent on SPDIF for what I use and Vista limit access on SPDIF.

Edited by Hexter

I think right about now would be a good time for me to get back into console gaming ( and keep my PC around for emulation only ). I mean lets face it - good games for PC is getting few and far inbetween anyway

Edited by Permethium

• 3 weeks later...

10 reasons you should get Vista

Here are the real benefits: things that will actually make a difference to you day-to-day.

1. UI built for the era of video and digital photography - It's not actually Microsoft's key selling point, but the thing that everyone will probably find the most useful about Vista is that photos, videos and music are not treated the same as Word documents any more. When you open a folder of photos, they come up as they'd appear in Google Picasa or Apple iPhoto. There's inbuilt basic photo editing. Music folders come up in columns of ID3 tags, a bit like iTunes. Finally, you don't have to rely so much on third party apps to work with your files.

2. Image-based install - PC enthusiasts spend a lot of time installing and reinstalling Windows for their own and other people's PCs. The Vista DVD is actually a pre-installed version of the OS in a compressed form, making it substantially quicker to install. It's also much easier to customise for unprompted installation with the correct defaults, and you can even install your own software automatically at the time Vista is installed - like slipstreaming service packs but on steroids.

3. Up-to-date driver base and better driver handling on installation - Enjoy the just-baked driverbase while it lasts (19,500 drivers large). If you do need to use a special disk driver during installation in the future it won't have to be on floppy disk. Now you can use a USB memory key or CD. Also, Microsoft is now making much greater use of Windows Update for provision of drivers that aren't present in the Windows RTM driver base. Windows Chief Jim Allchin talks about it.

4. Desktop search and search folders built in - Yes, you could already get umpteen desktop search apps including Windows Desktop Search from Microsoft for XP, but you can't underestimate the importance of it being installed on every single Vista PC. Now when your mum rings saying she's lost a document she's been working on all day you can just direct her to the start menu. Also, desktop search folders are handy for finding stuff you haven't necessarily got stored in one folder but that is useful to gather together from time to time (e.g. documents with "tax, invoice or receipt" in them).

5. Sleep mode that actually works. - It's a small thing, but makes a big difference: Vista has finally caught up to operating systems that can sleep near instantly and wake up reliably, in a couple of seconds.

6. Rock-solid laptop encryption - The data on your laptop is worth a hell of a lot to an identity thief. Vista's "Bitlocker" encryption (only in Enterprise and Ultimate versions) does heavy-duty, full-drive encryption, so you can be certain that unless a thief has your password there's simply no way they're going to get in.

7. Better file navigation - Vista now has some time-saving features like favourite folders displayed in the left column of every Explorer window, as well as "breadcrumbed" folder lists allowing you to quickly jump backward and forward through a path. Sure, these should have been put into Windows years ago, but at least they're here now.

8. Inbuilt undelete - Or, depending on how you look at it, inbuilt rolling backup. Every time you make a change to a file or delete it, Windows keeps the previous version. As a result, the "oh !@#$ I just overwrote my entire PhD with Document1" feeling can be quickly assuaged.

9. DirectX10 - OK, this isn't so much a benefit as your hand being forced: DirectX 10 will never be made for XP, and a raft of games have already been announced ‘exclusively' for 10. Admittedly it does take gaming graphics to the next level, but it's very much tied to Vista.

10. Face it, you have no choice - When Microsoft brings out a major renovation to Windows, you can choose to ignore it for a year or two, but then the device drivers start drying up for older versions of Windows, your friends start asking questions about their new PC that you can't answer, and even if you use Linux, you'll inevitably need familiarity with Microsoft's latest interoperability blockers. Face it: your arse belongs to Redmond.

all those features are basically set up for people who dont know how to use a computer. Fancy visuals/half-assed apps/wizards and crap flying around your screen to guide you through everything.

Anyone who has a decent amount of knowledge about computers can do all those things in XP/Linux/even Mac :-)

This is the same exact thing that happened when XP came out and everyone said it was too bloated and set up to be too user friendly wasting resources and being annoying and everything so everyone wanted to stick with 2000.

Vista is going to be a waste of time right now, its new, and performs like crap, but with age/development/updates it will become the standard eventually. Its a fact that Vista runs slower than XP. But vista may either catch up or outperform xp eventually.

other random info to add to my rant: I think its bullshit that we have to wait for patches and stuff, if i buy something i want it to work decently/better/etc when i buy it, instantly, but maybe im just impatient.

all those features are basically set up for people who dont know how to use a computer. Fancy visuals/half-assed apps/wizards and crap flying around your screen to guide you through everything.

Anyone who has a decent amount of knowledge about computers can do all those things in XP/Linux/even Mac :-)

Yeah, it's just in Windows it comes built in instead of having to download 20+ programs for Linux, not to mention a windows emulator to actually play games--games that Mac will never get.

And pimping out a Mac = changing the color of your case, because AFAIK, you can't upgrade much in a Mac, so when it becomes obsolete, just buck up and suck the tit by buying a new $2000 machine, right?

Edit: Just so we're clear that I'm not spending $500 on Microsoft and that I'm not a total fanboy, I spent $40 for XP that got me a free upgrade to Vista. That's $20-$30 per OS.

I'm frugal, and I like to know what I'm getting and that I can change it up if I want; I haven't heard of people upgrading macs, so I'll never get one.

Edited by NeuronMaster

And all of those features are resource hogs. This is EXACLTY why I don't use Explorer for my GUI or my File Manager in XP. My filemanager has bloated-ass features, but you can turn them off and simply have a power-user setup that eats next to nothing for resources.

I don't need all the built-in CRAP, if I want to edit photos I'll use appropriate software. If I want to check out music files, I'll open the appropriate program.

MY WINDOWS SHELL SHOULD BE JUST THAT! A F**CKING SHELL!

And all of those features are resource hogs. This is EXACLTY why I don't use Explorer for my GUI or my File Manager in XP. My filemanager has bloated-ass features, but you can turn them off and simply have a power-user setup that eats next to nothing for resources.

I don't need all the built-in CRAP, if I want to edit photos I'll use appropriate software. If I want to check out music files, I'll open the appropriate program.

MY WINDOWS SHELL SHOULD BE JUST THAT! A F**CKING SHELL!

By all means if you want to run windows 3.11 then yes I can see your point of veiw . But PC's have changed since then and people do alot more with them .

Some of the features were added because the end user asked for them . And if you do not wish to use them then thats up to you . At least when people buy an OS most of stuff is there for them to use and do not have to buy extra software to do the things they want .