Why you shouldn't touch Vista

Robert

Personally I wouldn't upgrade to Vista from a gaming point of view. And I'm not that radical to simply ditch it and switch to consoles only. I'm pretty sure things will quiet down, supers-trimmed versions of Vista will start surfacing with all its advantages and none of its drawbacks, a DX10 version for XP will surface and we'll all be laughing at Micro$oft's incompetence.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah from the very start i know someone will get DX10 on vista, its software, software can be screwed with pretty easily.

It might have to use some weird emulation crap to run on XP, but with all the other crap slowing down Vista it probably wont make that much of a difference.

I heard WINEHQ are working on a DX10 wrapper for Windows XP, which I think is good news for users that don't want to switch Vista. Personally I'm more of a worker then a heavy gamer, I like playing new games but there always a downside, the costs of the games $$$, the space it takes up these days and of course the costs of upgrades $$$.

I might start an blog article called "Musician, you do not need Vista."

What would you rather do? Play on Games or write them. :rolleyes:

I wish I had the time, focus, discipline, and reason to learn any form of BSD or Linux.

Ubuntu isnt that hard to learn. There is alot of support on it online and everything has some instructions to installing somewhere. It was the first distro i went into and i liked it. Its like windows (with the some of the menus and commands) but it is alot better...

DX10 on XP? Not fully, that's for sure...even less with this so called "wrapper".

Anyone who has read any articles regarding DX10, knows there is NO legacy support in hardware. All pre-DX10 hardware will run through a software layer. BLECH!

Given how "slow" Vista is in the first place, expect something like an ATi X800 to run like a Radeon 8500....

I wish I had the time, focus, discipline, and reason to learn any form of BSD or Linux.

Ubuntu isnt that hard to learn. There is alot of support on it online and everything has some instructions to installing somewhere. It was the first distro i went into and i liked it. Its like windows (with the some of the menus and commands) but it is alot better...

I think that SuSe (and perhaps open SuSe) is the most windows-like since it tries to do everything with a gui (that's the impression that it gave me when I tried it). I personally like Ubuntu because I find that there is a fair balance of gui and command line usage. The only thing that I do not like about Ubuntu is the bloat: PDI apps, server, and bluetooth apps that I will not be using; don't even get me started on the kernel (it's as if everything is enabled). However, with its support and popularity I doubt that it will remain free (as in price) by the end of the year.

Based on my experience, you need focus, time, and discipline in order to install more advanced distro's like Gentoo. I'm actually installing Gentoo into a separate partition from a chroot-ed environment with Ubuntu. Freakin' GNOME takes forever to emerge even with the USE flags that I've set, but I'm glad that my gentoo install will not be as bloated as my Ubuntu install.

I just give PC-BSD a try, installing software on PC-BSD is pretty much like installing software on Windows really. PC-BSD uses the install wizard called pbi (PC-BSD Installer) which is similar to installshield on Windows. Also PC-BSD looked kind-of-like Vista as the default style. What I like about PC-BSD is that it is not as bloated as Ubuntu, even OpenOffice and Firefox was not included. PC-BSD can natively run Linux applications, just like FreeBSD.

As for FreeBSD itself, is what weirdy said about Gentoo really. :)

Is FreeBSD installed like Gentoo? (w/out an automated installer)

I mean, I've been installing the gnome meta package for gentoo since this morning (there were some periodical pauses), it's already 6 P.M, and it's almost done.

Firefox took 30 mins to finally finish compiling and I can't imagine how long open office is going to take.

Lots of time and discipline.