FlashMe Tutorial (Newbie's Guide)

Mooney

is FLashMe like a memorycard that you can save? im really wondering how to save in NDS emu

A FlashMe has nothing to do with NDS emulators. You save in an emulator like you would on the actual handheld.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, although you said that how to use a slot-1 device to install flashme would be useless, I am still wondering if it would be an easier task to do?

Because before I bought my R4DS, I have my DS flashed by my friend to use the slot-2 device(flashme v7).

And now I want to flash it to v8 with noautoboot.

Would it be easier by using a slot-1 device?

Do you mind to write a short guide on how to install/uninstall flashme with slot-1 device?

THANKS!!

Hi, although you said that how to use a slot-1 device to install flashme would be useless, I am still wondering if it would be an easier task to do?

Because before I bought my R4DS, I have my DS flashed by my friend to use the slot-2 device(flashme v7).

And now I want to flash it to v8 with noautoboot.

Would it be easier by using a slot-1 device?

Do you mind to write a short guide on how to install/uninstall flashme with slot-1 device?

THANKS!!

According to the official website (http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/flashme/) all you have to do is put the desired version of FlashMe onto your flashcard and run it just like any other homebrew. After you get it running, though, you'll have to follow the same installation steps as a slot-2 user (Follow the on-screen instructions, short the SL1).

• 4 weeks later...
- You can install FlashMe from a slot-1 card, but that would be completely useless so I will not cover it.

umm... if some how u got tricked into downloading a fake rom or a homebrew program that turns out to be a virus and brick ur ds u can restore it if u had flashme installed, so there is still a reason to install it even if ur using slot one card

- You can install FlashMe from a slot-1 card, but that would be completely useless so I will not cover it.

umm... if some how u got tricked into downloading a fake rom or a homebrew program that turns out to be a virus and brick ur ds u can restore it if u had flashme installed, so there is still a reason to install it even if ur using slot one card

Basically,

Unlike Passme or a cartridge based modifier to the Nintendo DS, Flashme is literally in the DS's firmware, saving you your SLOT-1 and letting you do what you please as long as your slot 2 source is availible (supercard/m3 + SD/CF)

However, when you download bad Homebrew or ROMS and bick your DS. with Passme, since it doesnt put anything into your firmware, cant do anything about it. You can download some recovery Cartridges, or if you use Flashme you can use the recovery option. However, if you're smart, you shouldnt ever need to recover your DS

some short tips on Homebrew and ROMS

1. Dont download malicious looking ones. If the site claims its NINTENDO MARIO 64 DS and the name of the rom WaRVBackdoor.nds i sure wouldnt download it. If this site looks malicious too it may not have good things.

2. Only download homebrew applications from original site or mirrors. They list the latest (and trusted) holders of homebrew applications, downlaod from them and you have a good bet of some safe software

3. Dont dig too deep if you cant find it. You may find a malicious site that may drop you malware too.

P.S. dont look for leaked games from E3, or games not released yet, that just begs to be a fake, or virus.

• 5 weeks later...

Basically,

Unlike Passme or a cartridge based modifier to the Nintendo DS, Flashme is literally in the DS's firmware, saving you your SLOT-1 and letting you do what you please as long as your slot 2 source is availible (supercard/m3 + SD/CF)

However, when you download bad Homebrew or ROMS and bick your DS. with Passme, since it doesnt put anything into your firmware, cant do anything about it. You can download some recovery Cartridges, or if you use Flashme you can use the recovery option. However, if you're smart, you shouldnt ever need to recover your DS

some short tips on Homebrew and ROMS

1. Dont download malicious looking ones. If the site claims its NINTENDO MARIO 64 DS and the name of the rom WaRVBackdoor.nds i sure wouldnt download it. If this site looks malicious too it may not have good things.

2. Only download homebrew applications from original site or mirrors. They list the latest (and trusted) holders of homebrew applications, downlaod from them and you have a good bet of some safe software

3. Dont dig too deep if you cant find it. You may find a malicious site that may drop you malware too.

P.S. dont look for leaked games from E3, or games not released yet, that just begs to be a fake, or virus.

i agree with u there, that's y i still haven't flash my ds lite after getting a new one from nintendo but that stupid warning screen kinda bug me just a lil good thing i don't have to touch the screen to continue

The recovery option for Flashme says to boot it from a slot-2 card. What about a slot-1 card? It may be necessary to even have flashme if you have a slot-1 card (except for allowing you to unbrick your DS should that occur) but it is something that would be nice to know.

Mooney i have a few quick questions.

1. What does it mean in the guide when you said your ds could get bricked.

2. With flash me installed, can you still run nds games from slot 1.

1. When something gets "bricked," it no longer functions in a normal way. For instance, it might not turn on anymore. Thus it becomes a "brick" (or paperweight).

2. Yes, you can still run slot-1 games with FlashMe installed. Flasshcarts and original games will both still work.

The recovery option for Flashme says to boot it from a slot-2 card. What about a slot-1 card? It may be necessary to even have flashme if you have a slot-1 card (except for allowing you to unbrick your DS should that occur) but it is something that would be nice to know.

I believe the newest version of FlashMe (ver. 8a) can be installed from a slot-1 device, but I am not completely sure. On the official website, though, it does say this:

If your firmware gets corrupt, hold START+SELECT to boot directly to SLOT-1 or SLOT-2. From there, you can run flashme or noflashme to repair it.

This doesn't necessarily mean you can install it from slot-1, but recovery mode will work with a slot-1 device.

1. make sure the DS is plugged into the charger

2. (if you have a lite) be careful :P

what I use for flashing lites is two paper clips with the ends bent out and taped together using scotch tape.... the tape acts as an insulator and also stableizes it if you use enough