Archive Programs

What archive program do you guys use and can recommend?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What archive program do you guys use and can recommend?

I personally use WinRAR since it can handle really big files and many archive types. It also is very fast and integrates itself into the shell very well.

I listed the most used programs in the poll, and you can also post your comments below.

I have the free WinZip because that's what a page was linked to when I first needed to open zip files.

Lately, I downloaded a free thing called 7-zip because I got a 7z file that I had no idea what to do with. 7-zip can open rar files, so I haven't bothered paying for anything because I have no real need to make my own rar files.

http://www.7-zip.org/

WinRAR. It can create RAR (The best compression ratio) and ZIP files.

I occasionally use WinZIP if I need to span ZIP files across floppy's (WinRAR can't do this with anything but RAR files for some odd reason), which I need to do with older computers I may deal with, like this 486 laptop I've got sitting here that I've been doing work for someone on. (Don't ask)

You forgot #3 in the big name archiving tools btw. WinACE.

As for 7zip, I've tested it, and read reviews. It's a buggy archiving tool and I don't recommend anyone use it.

It's compression ratio is higher than WinRAR, but it's compression algorithym is unstable and can lead to corrupt packs more often than any other archiving tool.