HD Loading

I saw heaps of threads for this but I thought might as well start a new one with my questions and not res one of those old ones... :)

1. HDLoader vs HDAdvance... same thing?

2. My PAL PS2 isnt chipped. If i can get a pressed disc of HDAdvance or Loader, can I play NTSC U / C / J games off my HD?

3. If I cant play foreign region games that way, can I do it with USBextreme?

Any help is greatly appreciated... all the threads concerning HDs Ive gone through today skirt the issue of regions... I couldnt tell if that was because the HDLoader or whatever disc was presumed to be burnt or not. Thanks.

Edited by DragonKeeper

Wrong. Don't assume that everything that starts with HD has to do with graphics. Your post also offers zero new and useful information to this topic.

DragonKeeper: Both HDLoader and HD advance allow the user to play PS2 games which have been installed (copied) onto the PS2 hard drive. No modchip required as far as I know. As for the region thing, I can't say. Have you checked the HDAdvance.com for additional info?

1. HDLoader vs HDAdvance... same thing?

2. My PAL PS2 isnt chipped. If i can get a pressed disc of HDAdvance or Loader, can I play NTSC U / C / J games off my HD?

3. If I cant play foreign region games that way, can I do it with USBextreme?

1) Yes, both are the same thing, but HD Loader is the one most up to date if I recall. Also, I think it's the one but HD Loader is free and HD Advance is a rip off because it's a pressed disc. There are alternative methods to get HD Loader to install and boot that do not require a mod chip.

2) Assumably yes, but there could be some problems with the NTSC to PAL video transition. And as you may(be) know that U and J games run on 60Hz.

3) Not a clue.

Also, not all games will support HDA/L, specifically Dual-Layer games (Shadows of the Colossus, Gran Turismo 4 etc) and need to patched or made into DVD5 isos for transfering.

i think Shadows of the Colossus works with the newest hd loader. under hdma or something. i have to dig it up to be exact but it has been confirmed by several places. go hd loader it's free and pretty easy to setup. all you need to do is remove the face off the cd tray to install it into a memory card or have a friend copy it over to a memory card for you. if anything just head over to ps2 scene it has it all.

DragonKeeper: Both HDLoader and HD advance allow the user to play PS2 games which have been installed (copied) onto the PS2 hard drive. No modchip required as far as I know. As for the region thing, I can't say. Have you checked the HDAdvance.com for additional info?

Yes- they have compatibility for hard drives, things to do with different revisions but all the FAQs cleverly avoid the issue of region coding :/

1) Yes, both are the same thing, but HD Loader is the one most up to date if I recall. Also, I think it's the one but HD Loader is free and HD Advance is a rip off because it's a pressed disc. There are alternative methods to get HD Loader to install and boot that do not require a mod chip.

2) Assumably yes, but there could be some problems with the NTSC to PAL video transition. And as you may(be) know that U and J games run on 60Hz.

3) Not a clue.

Also, not all games will support HDA/L, specifically Dual-Layer games (Shadows of the Colossus, Gran Turismo 4 etc) and need to patched or made into DVD5 isos for transfering.

Yeh Ive heard about the independence exploit and made myself an installer disc- just waiting to visit my mate to use his chipped machine to get it on my memory card.

Also the 60hz thing isnt a problem- I always used to buy TVs that supported 60hz and today most do anyway. Damned American cultural influence :D I hope that is the only problem- if so Im good to go.

Thanks guys for the help- I checked out ps2scene as well and everything seems ok. Now I just need to hunt down a network adapter.... those things are rare as hell it seems, which makes me want to kick myself for not fighting out one that was on eBay just a few days ago- now there dont seem to be any in Australia listed atm.

One last question though- are peripherals like the Network Adapter region coded? I know the disc that comes with them definately is, but I dont care about that, just the unit itself. If region doesnt matter I could just pick up a cheap Asian one (official Sony of course).

I would say that the 60Hz thing isn't an american infulence, but rather because mostly other regions, mainly being Asia and North/Central/South America out weight all other 50Hz regions.

Unit itself, maybe, due to voltage conversion processes I would assume.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah 20 days on and I finally have my HD setup going. I ended up getting a pressed version of HD Advance 3.0 and a Maxtor IDE HDD. The tough part was getting hold of a Network Adaptor... I got a new / sealed one but couldnt avoid paying more than Id have liked for it. :/ But whatever now everything runs perfectly.. imports work.. load times are non-existant and I can just keep stacking the games onto the HDD.

Thanks again to everyone that offered help- wouldnt have had the nerve to track down all these obscure (and expensive) components otherwise. :D