Dark AleX's 3.02 OE-B Custom Firmware

BlackKnight

New custom firmware due out today does the impossible for the PSP...

How do you sum up something like this little bit of news? By putting it as plainly as possible. Dark_Alex is working on 3.02 OE-B, the successor to OE-A, and by all accounts, 3.02 OE-B will be able to play PlayStation 1 games. Not just any old games though, but pretty much any PS1 game you already have.

Yes, dear readers. This would mean that you can bypass the three basic annoyances many of us would have with the PlayStation Store once OE-B is complete: having to own a PS3, waiting for Sony's PS1 releases, and paying for them. If you own, say, Final Fantasy Tactics, this should presumably allow you to play the original game on your PSP instead of waiting for The Lion War to come out. Repeat said reasoning with the games you have that still aren't available on the PlayStation Store, and you can see just how much mileage we can get from our games.

Of course, it's still a work in progress, so keep your fingers crossed and cheer Dark_Alex on. Before we go, here's a video of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (European Version) running on the work-in-progress version 3.02 OE-B... at full speed. Merry Christmas, you lucky, lucky people!

...fullspeed PSX emulation. Turns out those Network Title Eboots were just emulator code and original ISOs archived together. With the DRM already cracked in OE-A, Sony is royally screwed for this one. DAX plans to release it today so anyone who wants to take SOTN or whatever other PSX classic out with them should be set to get their biggest thrill this Christmas (I didnt get anything btw :/)- Im totally stoked.

Hopefully Mooney will get round to posting this in the Site News and Updates forum when this gets released, but just thought people would like to know now- Im so excited I cant really help myself.

EDIT: Released. Maxconsole thread and Link (Members Only).

Edited by DragonKeeper

I hoped this would happen when I first heard the psp would have a psx emulator in firmware 3.0, but I never expected it to happen so quickly.

Sony should just give up. lol. Release all the technical specs for the psp and just let the hackers and coders do what they want.

Should I play FFVII again ? Or should I just hit up Megaman X series. Decisions decisions. I think I'm heading MegamanX series.

Maybe DC should make a DC emu for the PSP and release it the same way the ps1 emu was released. Hell yea that would kick ass.

Should I play FFVII again ? Or should I just hit up Megaman X series. Decisions decisions. I think I'm heading MegamanX series.

Maybe DC should make a DC emu for the PSP and release it the same way the ps1 emu was released. Hell yea that would kick ass.

Play Castlevania again. Thats what Im doing~

We wont get another system emud like this on the PSP though- only Sony has the resources to develop something this efficient and even then only because its their own system. Then again, Id love to be wrong on this one.

Holy crap! FULLSPEED?!? :blink: It's a Christmas miracle, it is! :( I must get this ASAP! Ooohh.. FFVII on mah PSP... :D Yes, Sony should just give up. Obviously, they cannot win. -_-

Play Castlevania again. Thats what Im doing~

We wont get another system emud like this on the PSP though- only Sony has the resources to develop something this efficient and even then only because its their own system. Then again, Id love to be wrong on this one.

I would play Castlevania again but the last game I played on a PS1 was Castlevania.