Hidden account

GodPigeon

Actually, Cinder, the Administator account is on every Windows XP system. It's there as a "just in case" measure in order to give unquestioned priority access to everything on the computer when your normal login won't work. For XP Home users this account is the only way to change the security options for verious files and folders.

Now about the BIOS password. The first thing you have to do is access your computer's bios setting on startup. This can usually be done by pressing the F1 or F2 keys on startup depending on which bios model your computer has. Once there, go to the security settings and you will be able to set various passwords to keep someone from modifying your bios settings as well as have the password be used to keep anyone from even booting the computer without it (aka boot password). Meaning they have to have the password before they can even start Windows.

So even though you may not be able to do anything about the "secret" admin account you can at least keep your brother from messing with your computer again.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My primary account IS my Administrator account. The only way you wind up with a lesser account is by creating one. Have a look here, do you see an "Administrator" folder? You would if you didn't make it your primary like I have.

Docset.jpg

The folder "Ken" is my Administrator account, and my primary login.

My primary account IS my Administrator account. The only way you wind up with a lesser account is by creating one. Have a look here, do you see an "Administrator" folder? You would if you didn't make it your primary like I have.

post-127-1166281704_thumb.jpg

The folder "Ken" is my Administrator account, and my primary login.

The Administraor account that i'm talking about can only be found by starting your computer on safe mode

EDIT:HALDRIE: i just tried to make the BIOS password and i dont see that option, there is a password option but thats for entering into the setup menu, not the system itself.

Edited by GoRDoOnE

Yes, I'm well aware of the Administrator account that has no profile attached to it. It has no more control over your system than a normal admin account (Provided you retained one and didn't simply create a regular user account for yourself).

Go into your Administrative Tools > Computer Management: Local users and groups > Adminstrator

Provided your normal account is a full-fledged Admin account, it doesn't even matter if theres a password set on the Administrator account, you can disable it or reset the password.

As for your bios password, you need to change the type from "Setup" to "System" in the bios. In that case, it asks for a password on startup AND when entering Bios setup.

Unfortunately Cinder, I don't see the "Local Users and Groups" choice on my computer. I'm guessing this is another difference between XP Home and XP Pro.

@GoRDoOnE:

Set that password for the setup and there should be an option under that same window that you can change to have that password be used for startup as well. I can't tell you exactly what it's suppose to say because I've seen many different variations of the term that each bios uses.

Yes, I'm well aware of the Administrator account that has no profile attached to it. It has no more control over your system than a normal admin account (Provided you retained one and didn't simply create a regular user account for yourself).

Go into your Administrative Tools > Computer Management: Local users and groups > Adminstrator < Right click and check "Account is disabled" OR right click and set a new password

Provided your normal account is a full-fledged Admin account, it doesn't even matter if theres a password set on the Administrator account, you can disable it or reset the password.

As for your bios password, you need to change the type from "Setup" to "System" in the bios. In that case, it asks for a password on startup AND when entering Bios setup.

I dont see the local users and groups option either

Unfortunately Cinder, I don't see the "Local Users and Groups" choice on my computer. I'm guessing this is another difference between XP Home and XP Pro.

@GoRDoOnE:

Set that password for the setup and there should be an option under that same window that you can change to have that password be used for startup as well. I can't tell you exactly what it's suppose to say because I've seen many different variations of the term that each bios uses.

I dont see those options anywhere on the setup screen.

There's an easy solution to this actually. Do you have an administrator's account (even if it's not THE administrator's account)? If you do, it'll be really easy to help you.

Yes i do.

To Everyone: I Just formatted my computer and there should be no password on that account now, i want to know how to put one because if i remember correctly that password is put on differently i think. And i would also like some more advice on the Startup Password.

can't you just log into it in safe mode and go to user accounts in the control panel?

not sure, now im having a problem getting into safe mode. Whats the Right way to do it, i usually just turn off my PC forcefully, or i think Hold CRTL but nothing seems to work now.