Sonic Adventure 2 graphics arrors

I'd say the integrated graphics chip because they lack instruction sets the cards have. However, since I am not an emulator developer, I don't know if the Chankast team could have written code that made it more compatible with integrated chips.

But integrated chips are generally bad. It'd be cheaper to buy a Dreamcast than to get a system that can emulate it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Dreamcast, bad thing is that I don't have any memories to save the game... But the thing is it started to work slower slower slower and slower..... until there was a point that while playing a game it just froze loading a level and dang.

Me and my friend dismanteled the dreamcast and we cleaned it..... thing is we prolly f*cked up the laser and the system now can never read a CD or a GD-ROM in its life.

I live in Argentina, and getting a Dreamcast is impossible.. Speaking of VMUs, i went to this place that has rare items and they wanted to sell me a normal VMU for 100 bucks (equivalent to 33 US Dollars)

This is the main reason i tried emulating dreamcast games on this computer.

Too bad Chankast or any type of emulation works with integrated chips, knowing that aprox. 68% of the computers in the world have integrated chips/cards.

You can't compare PC games and emulated games; it's like comparing apples and oranges. Emulating the graphics on a 3D hardware often requires several advanced techniques in order to emulate the graphics at least in some degree of accuracy. While the DC graphics may not seem like they have that many tricks in them, that doesn't mean that there aren't any "tricks" in the Dreamcast GPU.

The graphics chips in these consoles (doesn't really matter which 3D console) are designed for that particular console in mind, and sport features that cannot be emulated with PC graphics cards without extra work. Integrated graphics chip usually have only the barest of necessary features, and the fact that the chips share system RAM doesn't exactly make the thing any better.

Developers don't often write emulator with just particular video cards in mind. How they emulate the graphics is what counts. In this case, the Intel chips can't handle the way the emulator does its rendering. More specifically, Chankast uses a technique called hardware Transform & Lighting which is used extensively by the Dreamcast and is supported by most graphics cards. However, Intel chose not to support hardware T&L. IIRC, no GMA chip supports hardware T&L.

I understand now.

According to a friend of mine, it's not possible to change my graphics chip unless I change the motherboard and some other stuff.

Do you have idea of what laser I can get for my dreamcast??? would a DVD laser work?? Because not in hell I will be able to get a laser for a dreamcast.

I understand now.

According to a friend of mine, it's not possible to change my graphics chip unless I change the motherboard and some other stuff.

Do you have idea of what laser I can get for my dreamcast??? would a DVD laser work?? Because not in hell I will be able to get a laser for a dreamcast.

You can find someone else with a broken dreamcast, i know i have a couple lying around here, and those lasers work just fine.

If you have a desktop computer with enough room in the case and a spare AGP (or PCI-E) port, you can jot in a new graphics card and then disable the integrated GMA chip from the system BIOS. However, if the BIOS has no option to disable the integrated chip, then you don't have much choice but to replace your motherboard.

Well I have a laptop.... thats the problem.

And I have no money to get a desktop (this laptop was a gift)

and BTW, I recently tried playing in DEmul.... things work just fine, the problem is that it only runs at 18 FPS... Some minimal texture errors though. I had to use Open GL to make it work lol

Yeah, for some reason, Intel's chips are also paricularly bad when rendering stuff via DirectX, no such problems with OpenGL. Demul is slower than Chankast, even in in DynaRec mode (which you should use anyways).

• 2 weeks later...

One does not simply create a new version in mere months when people have been complaining about sound and speed. Give it time. No one knows, and the developers aren't talking.