Dick Smith Super 80 computer kit

Garos

I am a current advertiser with Silicon Chip magazine in australia.

They were formerly known as Electronics Australia

I have emailed the editor Leo Simpson, who was involved with the Super-80 initiially as a junior.

Have sent him everything and requested that the magazine investigate the idea of a redesign etc of the product as it seems to have been anbandoned by the original copyright owners.

I will forward the results of my interaction with him here.

cheers

john

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck, the magazine seems to be dedicated to picaxes these days...

For my post earlier, I've recently become a MESSdev, and the Super80 will be emulated in MESS 0.124. The Microbee has had a number of fixes applied as well.

Good luck, the magazine seems to be dedicated to picaxes these days...

For my post earlier, I've recently become a MESSdev, and the Super80 will be emulated in MESS 0.124. The Microbee has had a number of fixes applied as well.

You were absolutely correct.

He is not in the least bit interested whatsoever.

there is no danger of copyright with this design, it's all forgotten.

• 1 year later...
Let us know what you want to do... or not.

Am a bit slow in getting back to this thread...( a bit like the computer mentioned here...LOL)

Does anyone have a main board or broken super 80 that i could use as a master to have it remade?

I believe Cherry can still supply the keyboard bits.

Have found the guy George who wrote the Crazy maze game, he still has a copy...somewhere...

I have been reading the yahoo postings... :D

It would be good to get a copy of whatever George G. has.

His Crazy maze game was by far the best arcade game written for the S80, graphics was reasonable, but the keyboard etc responses in the game were first class, and it wasnt a pushover to play either.

I would actually be building the machine to play the one game...silly as it seems.

Edited by z80

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

I stumbled upon this thread when researching the Super 80.

I really enjoyed reading the posts to date on restoring this wonderful old machine.

Even more so I was touched by the comradery involved in assisting with parts and advice.

Our group ( The Retro Computing Cult ) is involved in many aspects of preserving, archiving, and displays of similar old computing equipment.

We are fairly new and our site isn't much to look at yet but please feel free to drop in some time.

ShaZaM

Check out our Igal galleries for some of the old equipment we have recovered.

Some of the old machines we currently have are System 80 (And expansion box), Model 100 (TRS80 portable), DSE Cat, TI-99/4A (Non functional), BBC Micro, Vic-20, C64, C64E/G, C16, Amiga 1000, 600HD, 500, 3000. Apple IIe Platinum (In the post).

We also have a Catweasel for archiving Disks, Eprom reader, scanner, & Colour laser for news letters and fliers.

We don't have a Super 80 yet or a blank PCB to copy but the project of a modern day kit for this really interests us.

We do however have a bare never populated MicroBee (uBee) PCB. We are currently looking for a cheap place to buy an A3 flatbed scanner so we can scan this and other items to release into the Retro community.

We also run a free PBX and Retro Party Line that can be accessed world wide for a local call in most cases or free using VoIP.

Lastly our group runs a local ATV (Public access UHF TV Station) and WiFi Mesh.

We hope to utilise these in the near future to broadcast all this old wonderful Retro material including the old fliers and commercials if we can get around copyright issues.

I personally look forward to participating more on a regular basis with www.1emulation.com.

~ Ken - vk4akp / Sj of the RCC'

.-.-.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I personally look forward to participating more on a regular basis with www.1emulation.com.

~ Ken - vk4akp / Sj of the RCC'

.-.-.

Yes, I see....Not.

Ok, so HE did not return. AND If I understand things right you have 3 of these things but somehow in 2010 don't have a digital camera or a way of taking pictures of them? Is this still the case? I would really like a picture of this system.