Dick Smith Super 80 computer kit

Garos

No, I meant coming to your place. I have a spare 2513.

I have a bunch of spare chips somewhere, could be a 81LS95 there, who knows.

It's a pity you don't have the lowercase kit, then you wouldn't need the 2513.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I meant coming to your place. I have a spare 2513.

I have a bunch of spare chips somewhere, could be a 81LS95 there, who knows.

Sure, that would be great. Do you come up this way much? I'll be flat out next week end (11/11) but following (18/11) should be OK, if you drop me an email I'll send you my address etc. Let me know what you want for the chips.

It's a pity you don't have the lowercase kit, then you wouldn't need the 2513.

How complex is it? If there are no obsolete parts I could cobble one up.

Sunday 19th would be OK. Email me at ************ and I'll send you my details etc.

Would Sunday the 19th be ok?

I seem to recall that a 81LS97 could be used in place of the 81LS95.

The lowercase kit consist of one eprom and what looks like a 74LS166.

I think that's what it says in the manual. I couldn't find the 74LS795 in any catalogs it might be just as scarce. Perhaps the lowe case board could be made up from scratch. I'm looking for double ended machine pin headers for this sort of thing. I'm not sure what they're called though.

Edited by Robert

OK. 81LS95 is missing from either U4 or U12, I have one of them but removed the chips for testing. This is the S100 interface. I think the 74LS174 is faulty, there's lots of noise coming out if the 0V pin and this drives the relay transistor and LED etc.

We used to call them "dip headers" and they were available at any parts store. Well, back then they were. :)

I'll send you an email shortly.

What chip position (Uxx) is the missing 81LS95 used in?

Aha! Unless you are planning on using the Printer Interface card (which contains a serial and a parallel port), I wouldn't worry about the S100 area.

If the 0v pin (pin 8) of U18 is not zero volts, then it's not grounded properly.

There are some mistakes in the circuit diagram around U18 (on my copy at least).

Make sure that on the left side of the chip it shows pins 2,7,10,12,15,5 and the right side should show

3 D0, 6 D2, 11 D3, 13 D4, 14 D5, 4 D1.

edit: I've sent you an email, and I removed the address from your post, to spare you from the spammers. :)

Edited by Robert

OK. I should've checked the grounding of that chip, there seems to be a lot of gunk on the pins too and this could be afftecting the operation. I'll check the schematic as you suggest. I think I've noticed a few discrepancies between board and shematic.

There's another suggested mod that I made, it improves the cassette recording. I'll show it to you on my visit.

OK. Sounds good. I've got a few old data cassette devices, a VZ300 and a Small Sony if I can find that. I've got an Atari but no tape bay cover. Of coarse I've never tried these so hopefully they still work.

The recommended cassette player was one of those flat portable ones from yesteryear. You could have batteries or run it off a power cord.

Got your email, thanks!

Do you have a working composite b/w monitor with a RCA socket as input? If so I could bring one of my super-80's over for you to look at.