I'm going crazy...

For some time now I've noticed how most neo geo roms found out there seem to be imperfect in some way. Like how some roms run with an emulator and give errors with others. (kawaks and MAME for instance)... It's become retardely annoying... I can't make a neo geo rom collection because I'm always doubting my roms will work or not in the future. This has never been the case with CPS1/2 games for instance. It's so flocked up and tiresome... Recently I downloaded a kof that works fine with kawaks and doesn't run on my PSP emulator...

god... wtf... Anyone have any idea if there's "perfect"ish roms out there that will work with any emulators, like CPS1/2 roms work? And if so how do I identify them? How do I create a perfectish rom that will work with any and all emulators (like both neoragex and kawaks and mame and nebula and ngepsp).

No, I'm not asking for rom links... just clarifications.

The "perfect" romsets are largely those used by MAME.

The only way you are going to get yourself romset(s) that work with every emulator is to first get a sets that work in NeoRAGEx, then use Loaders for Kawaks/Nebula and make your custom DATs for the sets. Then you compile your own MAME build so that it accepts the NeoRAGEx sets you have. Same with FBA and whatever Neo-Geo emulator you use on your PSP.

Yes. Easier said than done.

Man, I need more info on this stuff. How exactly are neo geo roms composed? Why are there different versions for different emulators? Why can't they be dumped like CPS1/2 games? Where would I find the truest dump, for MAME or w/e, that would work on any MAME version and Kawaks at the same time, since I know Kawaks adopted MAME sets since vesion 1.50...

recently I discovered that my nge psp emulator has this converter that creates an archived cache file of about 30 megs (for garou and kof2k2 anyway) which is needed if I wanna run the game... wtf?! jesus christ that's like adding 20% more dead weight memory so it can run a game PC emulators have no trouble running... wtf is this...

Well, first and foremost, the differences came into play when SNK started to deivse protectons for their Neo-Geo arcade boards so that they would be harder to pirate (this started with KOF99 and Garou).

So the emulators at that time only had sets that didn't have any kind of protection. They couldn't run the newer games because they couldn't emulate the protection. Eventually, people circumvented the protections (or knew how to make code the emulators such a way that the protections would also be emulated - on the fly decryption). The emulators that were actively being worked on (Nebula, Kawaks MAME) quickly implemented the decryption routines into their respective code, but emulators like NeoRAGEx that didn't have virtually any development going on had to resort to hacking individual files in the romset. A further problem for NRX was that it could only handle files up to a certain size per file and it could anly work with romsets that had their filesnames follow a different pattern.

Other emulators had strict rules of how they handle the files inside a romset (decrypting encrypted data, perfectly matching CRC values, size in hex, etc.), and could work with files of all sizes as long as the code was adjusted accordingly. NRX had to result in hacking Neo-Geo program code to remove

the encryption but also keep all the filesizes between their size boundaries. As the files started to change, they had to be treated as completely different romsets.

No emulator hacks the romsets in any way. The only real hacking they do is if they happen to have a memory address editor for cheats. For emulators that support decrypting encrypted romsets on the fly, do it in memory. Emulators do not alter the contents of the files thmselves.

I just checked the forums, its still in development but its at the slow stage, simular to the one a while back that mame had, remember?