MORTAL KOMBAT!

BlackKnight

mk.png

Flawless Victory!

I said 'the rise and fall.' MK Armaggedon is out today in the US of A (I hear) and will be out on my shores in just shy of 2 weeks. So, who else here is a big Mortal Kombat 2 fan but doesnt really care about the rest?

I was more than a fan you see.. I was an avid MK nut back in the day. I used to have Goro as my avvie before I realised Sachiel looked so cool. MK2 was the first fighting game I played. Ever. It had class that game. It had a great art direction and a rich mythology. The core gameplay was tight, but broken at the same time, not that I cared. It blew SF2 out of the water. Ill stand by that to my last breath. MK3 came and went.. some attest that UMK3 was the best balanced and most suitable for competition- I liked them all coz they were MK, but 2 was my favourite. Actually, I thought MKM Sub-Zero was a decent platformer, and MK4, while grating on the senses, could pass for a fighting game. I still thought it was lacking as a franchise without Shang Tsung or Shao Kahn but whatever.

---

Anyway here is the bulk of my rant. Deadly Alliance came along some years ago. I was stoked to see a decent 3D MK. It also had Sub-Zero and Scorpion in variations of their classic costumes, and Liu Kang was dead. Bliss? The new gen of MK started off missing a few core things, and with Deception and now Armageddon, instead of fixing them, they added more chaff to the formula to the extent where I believe Armaggedon, when I get it, will be utterly unbearable to play. Each is, after all, basically an expansion on the previous title with all the engine quirks and gameplay problems carried over. Lets chart the MK descent into shame shall we?

MK Deadly Alliance

+MK in 3D!

-Clunky fighting system.

-Weak and generic special moves.

-Dodgy motion capturing.

-Cheap CGI (if its gonna look nasty dont use it ffs)

-No big bad final boss? Shinnok all over again?

-No stage fatalities despite there being concepts for the Acid Bath?

-No standard uppercut?

MK Deception

+Uppercut!

+Dragon King boss!

+Half decent mini games.

-No positive additions to the core game engine.

-Combo breaker? Game breaker more like. Damnit I hate those.

-Noob-Smoke? That desperate to get the other guy out of the series, aye Boonie?

-TERRIBLE new character designs.

-Inordinate amount of content left in the game but not unlockable.

-Storyline that will humble even the cheesiest of fantasy writers.

But now the big deal- MK Armageddon. Check the supposed pros vs cons on this mother-

MK Armageddon

+Every character. Ever. Khameleon wasnt made by the MK team so who cares?

-Air combos? You serious?

-2 fighting styles with similar derivative moves?

-Twice as many useless fireball projectiles.

-Recycling models, sounds, art and every other kind of asset but not being bothered to bring along the MKDA and MKD stages.

-Bosses dont have boss like priority / movelists.

-Kintaro is now a cat? Not just a dragon with stripes??

-Storyline that seems even more off the wall... If I wanted the MK universe to come to an end I wouldnt want some pallete-swapped jax with a flame sprite to be the being behind it all.

...and here are the big disappointments....

-NO UNIQUE FATALITIES. NO TOASTY. NO DEEP FREEZE.

-MOTARO HAS ***2*** LEGS.

---

Ok now that was a long and unstructured rant. Why cry about all this now you ask? Well Ive been following the course of MKA development since ints announcement- but these things have only come to light in recent months. Id like to know who, since MKA is out today (or tomorrow? Im not good with times), is a long time MK fan and, having played the game, how they feel? Iv voiced my myriad disappointments but I havnt played it yet.. so I dont really have any authority on the matter yet.

So yeh agree, tell of MK fandom or whatever. If youre gonna let rip though, do it in a big way. Coz right now Im struggling to control the sheer disappointed rage I feel towards Ed Boon and his ilk. Some things, like no real fatalities and Motaro being sans 2 legs are just unforgivable. How dare such a mainstay of my childhood be desecrated so??? Ah well thats my piece.

Edited by DragonKeeper

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the main reason they cut down Motaro was their just lazy to animate a whole friking cenataur (who wouldn't TBH). This is basically the MKT of this gen. Not like it matters. Well it matters that theres no Khameleon. The extra character WITH a story :/. And too boot, I don't like the DA or D that much to begin with but like Armageddon. And who plays MK games competetivly at all? I just want to kill people. And hey, who hasn't thrown their controller in a fit of rage against MK bosses? I'm glad they aren't retardedly strong anymore.

Oh well, hit, miss, who cares, MK is MK and I still got it.

Lets all take out our shotguns and semi-automatics and just merc the heck OUT OF DAT CRAPPY SUb-Zero GAME!!!

*Bangs the game cover with a bat*

Edited by Shoma

Lets all take out our shotguns and semi-automatics and just merc the heck OUT OF DAT CRAPPY SUb-Zero GAME!!!

*Bangs the game cover with a bat*

AGREED *whips out bat and knocks the disc outta the park*

I wont ever do that again(the baseball comment), but that game sucks :P

mk.png

Flawless Victory!

I said 'the rise and fall.' MK Armaggedon is out today in the US of A (I hear) and will be out on my shores in just shy of 2 weeks. So, who else here is a big Mortal Kombat 2 fan but doesnt really care about the rest?

I was more than a fan you see.. I was an avid MK nut back in the day. I used to have Goro as my avvie before I realised Sachiel looked so cool. MK2 was the first fighting game I played. Ever. It had class that game. It had a great art direction and a rich mythology. The core gameplay was tight, but broken at the same time, not that I cared. It blew SF2 out of the water. Ill stand by that to my last breath. MK3 came and went.. some attest that UMK3 was the best balanced and most suitable for competition- I liked them all coz they were MK, but 2 was my favourite. Actually, I thought MKM Sub-Zero was a decent platformer, and MK4, while grating on the senses, could pass for a fighting game. I still thought it was lacking as a franchise without Shang Tsung or Shao Kahn but whatever.

---

Anyway here is the bulk of my rant. Deadly Alliance came along some years ago. I was stoked to see a decent 3D MK. It also had Sub-Zero and Scorpion in variations of their classic costumes, and Liu Kang was dead. Bliss? The new gen of MK started off missing a few core things, and with Deception and now Armageddon, instead of fixing them, they added more chaff to the formula to the extent where I believe Armaggedon, when I get it, will be utterly unbearable to play. Each is, after all, basically an expansion on the previous title with all the engine quirks and gameplay problems carried over. Lets chart the MK descent into shame shall we?

MK Deadly Alliance

+MK in 3D!

-Clunky fighting system.

-Weak and generic special moves.

-Dodgy motion capturing.

-Cheap CGI (if its gonna look nasty dont use it ffs)

-No big bad final boss? Shinnok all over again?

-No stage fatalities despite there being concepts for the Acid Bath?

-No standard uppercut?

MK Deception

+Uppercut!

+Dragon King boss!

+Half decent mini games.

-No positive additions to the core game engine.

-Combo breaker? Game breaker more like. Damnit I hate those.

-Noob-Smoke? That desperate to get the other guy out of the series, aye Boonie?

-TERRIBLE new character designs.

-Inordinate amount of content left in the game but not unlockable.

-Storyline that will humble even the cheesiest of fantasy writers.

But now the big deal- MK Armageddon. Check the supposed pros vs cons on this mother-

MK Armageddon

+Every character. Ever. Khameleon wasnt made by the MK team so who cares?

-Air combos? You serious?

-2 fighting styles with similar derivative moves?

-Twice as many useless fireball projectiles.

-Recycling models, sounds, art and every other kind of asset but not being bothered to bring along the MKDA and MKD stages.

-Bosses dont have boss like priority / movelists.

-Kintaro is now a cat? Not just a dragon with stripes??

-Storyline that seems even more off the wall... If I wanted the MK universe to come to an end I wouldnt want some pallete-swapped jax with a flame sprite to be the being behind it all.

...and here are the big disappointments....

-NO UNIQUE FATALITIES. NO TOASTY. NO DEEP FREEZE.

-MOTARO HAS ***2*** LEGS.

---

Ok now that was a long and unstructured rant. Why cry about all this now you ask? Well Ive been following the course of MKA development since ints announcement- but these things have only come to light in recent months. Id like to know who, since MKA is out today (or tomorrow? Im not good with times), is a long time MK fan and, having played the game, how they feel? Iv voiced my myriad disappointments but I havnt played it yet.. so I dont really have any authority on the matter yet.

So yeh agree, tell of MK fandom or whatever. If youre gonna let rip though, do it in a big way. Coz right now Im struggling to control the sheer disappointed rage I feel towards Ed Boon and his ilk. Some things, like no real fatalities and Motaro being sans 2 legs are just unforgivable. How dare such a mainstay of my childhood be desecrated so??? Ah well thats my piece.

That's just your opinion, somebody in this world might love every MK game that comes out.

There are still people you will buy all the Mortal Kombat games ever made, but I agree with the majority that the series stopped being fun long ago.

And if Armageddon has truly thrown out the fatalities and most of the things that made the games fun and unique in the past (not to mention the travesty that is Motaro), then the series can die.

Mortal Kombat 2 & 3 are still kings.