Favorite Music Player

Jitway

Says U. Givin it is free but there are many others out there that rival Winamap. You may have to pay for them but they exceed Winamp.

Windows: Foobar2000; it's lite and very customizable (something you can only take advantage of if you actually take the time to customize it)

This is how I customized Foobar (click).

Linux: Tie between XMMS and Amarok. Why?

Amarok = nice GUI and good format support, but bad equalizer.

XMMS = old GUI (old gtk), instable (it'll crash if you change the track sometimes), but kickass equalizer (EQU).

Until ALSA includes a system wide equalizer, I'd still use XMMS over Amarok.

What plugins do you use for Foobar? I have Foobar installed and messed around with it a bit. Is there something that can scan my library and automatically create playlists based on artist? I'm far too lazy to do it myself. Or perhaps something that makes an itunes-like interface. I hate iTunes as a piece of software but I like the interface and how it organizes stuff. I would love to have the MusikCube interface with Foobar. :)

For regular use I use Winamp. I've been using it for years.

What plugins do you use for Foobar? I have Foobar installed and messed around with it a bit. Is there something that can scan my library and automatically create playlists based on artist? I'm far too lazy to do it myself. Or perhaps something that makes an itunes-like interface. I hate iTunes as a piece of software but I like the interface and how it organizes stuff. I would love to have the MusikCube interface with Foobar. :)

For regular use I use Winamp. I've been using it for years.

Collumns-ui, Album art, and Browser

Album art displays...album art onto a child window on the foobar gui

Browser gives you a child window with a list of <meta-data element(like Artist)> based on what's in your library. In addition, it'll create a playlist for itself and show the songs for each <meta-data element(like Artist)>.

Btw, in order to use either of those you need Collumns ui. You add album art and browser to the ui in the collumns ui main configuration under "layout." You can add tabs, separators, etc. You have to mess around with the layout settings to get the hang of it.

I use Winamp now, but I use to use Sonique, and before that K-jofol.

In the meantime, I have tried Quintessential Player, Coolplayer, itoones, and Foobar, and haven't really liked any of them. :)

i used to like Winamp the best, but i had to switch to BSPlayer Pro (The free version works just as well for my purpose though) just because it has way better audio quality

i went around the next downloading all the popular media players and testing them, and BSPlayer Pro has the best quality sound output out of all of them

Keep in mind, this is most likely, and by most likely i mean 95% chance, thats its just this way for my hardware/configuration