New to M.A.M.E.

Mooney

I've avoided getting M.A.M.E. up till now because I always thought it looked scary to set up, but now my need to play arcade games has overcome my fear. Could someone please tell me what I need to do/get to start playing games? :( And what's with all those snippets of code people are always posting? Will I need to know what those are? And one last thing: With M.E.S.S. I had to download bios for the systems to work; do I have to do that with M.A.M.E., or will the emulator be able to run all of my games by itself? :huh:

P.S.

I'm sorry if there is already a topic on "Getting Started," but I did not see one. Also, I hope no one assumes I am requesting roms or bios. I know that is forbidden. :)

Thanks!

EDIT: I think I've got the basic set up... I downloaded the latest full release of MAME32, Cheat.dat (.108), mameinfo.dat(.108), history.dat (.108a), and highscore.dat (.105). Am I doing this right?

Edited by Mooney

Thats alright man. Well MAME is almost like any other emulator. You dont need anything else. Easiest way to start is to get one of those MAME32 comples, these have a GUI.

I preffer MAME32 PLUS! easy to find with google.

I find that most roms that you currently have works with make, of course you still need the bios for some games.

And those little snippets are just for poeple who compile their own mame, dont worry about that.

All you need to do is set the ROM directories under the options menue. And if you add more games to that directory, just press F5 to rescan.

Ohh woops, that extra stuff. you dont need history, and whatever. Thats just for show.

EDIT: OHH FUDGE YOU IQ! That took 5 mins out of my life!

Thanks guys! :) Just a few more questions: Can I leave the roms in .zip archives (To save space on my hd)? Also, what does it mean when it says a rom is "incorrect?" Do I have a bad version or is it not supported? :huh:

Damnit, one last LAST thing (I promise :( ) Is there a port of MAME for the NDS, GBA, or PSP?

Edited by Mooney

Thanks guys! :) Just a few more questions: Can I leave the roms in .zip archives (To save space on my hd)?

Yes you can leave them in .zip archives.

Not just can, but have to.

Beware, once you start on the path to mame, you embark on a long journey to collect every rom in existence. It can be quite time consuming. I got the full romset at about version .76 - and I stopped updating after that. For some reason, the mame team decides to make changes to a bunch of roms on every new release. Quite the pain in the butt.

For some reason, the mame team decides to make changes to a bunch of roms on every new release. Quite the pain in the butt.

I really have to say something towards this... every time someone says this, it irritates the hell out of me. People simply don't get it; MAME is about preservation, not collecting roms, not playing the games. If a game gets redumped or a better dump is found, it is added or replaces an old set.

While in most instances the difference between dumps isn't noticed, there are ones, such as the m1 roms from newer neogeo games, that do affect gameplay (missing sounds). So seriously, get over yourselves, MAMEDevs are not out to screw rom collectors over.

Mooney it's about time you got MAME it's the King of Emulators!

When you download a rom, they come in zip files, just put those

files straight into your ROMS folder. That includes the bios zips.

All the other things are optional. Also your hiscore.dat is a waste of

time because it's no longer supported.

Don't worry about code snippets, that's just programming stuff.

Sweet. Thanks for all the help! :) But no one has told me yet... if it says a rom is "Incorrect" (during an audit) does that mean I have a bad rom, or is it not yet supported? :huh:

@Robert: I got M.E.S.S. a little while back. That was enough hassle for me at the time. :thumbsup: I actually downloaded all the bios that were supported by .81 :blink:

Edited by Mooney