Wii price and launch date announced

Smilee

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732707p1.html

Wii goes on sale November 19. "The worldwide debut of the Wii system happens right here in the Americas -- the same place where we debuted Nintendo DS. On November 19, it will be available at more than 25,000 points of distribution across the Americas. And with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $249.99. One price. One configuration. One color." Which is, for the record, white.

Plans to ship 4 million Wii consoles between launch and December 31. Americas will receive the largest share of stock.

Inside the box, you'll get the hardware, all the cables, the sensor bar. One Wii remote and one nunchuck controller.

Reggie says there are 40 demo units here today with more than two dozen Wii games. Some are updated versions of games and some are brand new -- that we've never seen before.

Also

You can download the Opera Web browser using Wii points. So you'll need to buy it. Then you can surf the Net.

"We want consumers to come to rely on their Wii channels every day. Because then it's a short hop from using the Wii remote to playing their first game."

Wii points? Sounds like Nintendo is making a similar move with xbox live, good or bad move?

I was hoping for $200 but $250 isn't that bad.

The Wii points sound better than XBOX LIve points because with XBOX Live you have to buy them in sets of 500, 1000, etc. but stuff costs 400, 800, etc. making you pay more. Atleast that's what I gather. Nintendo's system is more straight forward and less "scammy."

I was hoping for $200 but $250 isn't that bad.

The Wii points sound better than XBOX LIve points because with XBOX Live you have to buy them in sets of 500, 1000, etc. but stuff costs 400, 800, etc. making you pay more. Atleast that's what I gather. Nintendo's system is more straight forward and less "scammy."

Indeed, I hate paying for more points than I have to due to those sets of points. Although they do stack so you can save enough points for other stuff.

Wait, how do you figure that? Maybe I'm missing something, but all I see about Wii Points in that link is the mention of having to buy the the web browser and that 2000 Wii Points will be $24 CDN. Is there another article somewhere that mentions how the Wii points are sold and/or how much stuff costs? Anyway, in MS's defense, there are lots of items that are 100-150 MS Points (themes, icons, etc...).

Really, any sort of point system like this is "scammy", that's the whole idea. The best way would be to just allow you to buy items with straight up cash/credit and have all the items priced in real dollars. But having items listed in terms of "MS Points" or "Wii Points" makes it feel a bit less like you are spending real money and also attempts to make you lose track what items are actually costing you in real dollars. But, oh well, it's pretty much all small dollar amounts anyway.

Edited by Thraxen

Wait, how do you figure that? Maybe I'm missing something, but all I see about Wii Points in that link is the mention of having to buy the the web browser and that 2000 Wii Points will be $24 CDN. Is there another article somewhere that mentions how the Wii points are sold and/or how much stuff costs? Anyway, in MS's defense, there are lots of items that are 100-150 MS Points (themes, icons, etc...).

Really, any sort of point system like this is "scammy", that's the whole idea. The best way would be to just allow you to buy items with straight up cash/credit and have all the items priced in real dollars. But having items listed in terms of "MS Points" or "Wii Points" makes it feel a bit less like you are spending real money and also attempts to make you lose track what items are actually costing you in real dollars. But, oh well, it's pretty much all small dollar amounts anyway.

I read somewhere that they'll be selling points in multiples of 500. I read a lot of articles about the Wii yesterday so I don't remember where exactly it was. But I agree, they're both scammy. I would much rather prefer actual dollar amounts.