[9/14/2006] Tokyo Extreme Racer 2/ Shutokou Highway Battle 2

L.S.D

Game: Tokyo Extreme Racer 2/SHutokou Highway Battle 2

System: Sega Dreamcast

Emulators: Chankast

609289.jpg

First of all, I have always been a fan of Shutokou battle series (or Tokyo Extreme Racer for the US

version) since playing Shutokou Battle and Shutokou Battle 2 on DC. The series started on PS

and have spawned across various consoles and even a PC version. For those who are not familiar

with the series, it is about you (a lone racer) battling against other racing teams in Tokyo highway.

You must beat all the cars in order to be no. 1 in Tokyo (usually 300 - 400 rival cars)

History of the series:

Shutokou Battle (PS1) - 1996

Shutokou Battle R (PS1) - 1997

Shutokou Battle (DC) - 1999

Shutokou Battle 2 (DC) - 2000

Shutokou Battle Zero (PS2) - 2001

Shutokou Battle Zero One (PS2) - 2003

Shutokou Battle Online (PC) - 2003

Shutokou Battle: Zone Of Control (PSP) - 2005

So, why am I reviewing an old DC game here? I just re-bought a 2nd hand DC and it really remind

me of how I used to love and play on my DC religiously. Hence, the inspiration to write review for

old DC games.

*Shock fact: Apperently, this game is really based on actual situation in Tokyo, where self-established

racing team race on Tokyo highways. The cops are keeping one eye closed on this*

Graphics:

screenshot_screen006.jpg

This game has one of the best graphics for racing games on DC. For a game that is released in 2000,

the game boast a very spectacular and realistic graphics especially on the car models. Although Genki

is too cheap to get the actual car manufacturers' license in this game, the cars are modelled as accurate

as ever to their real life counterparts. A Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec look like a Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec

and a Mitsubishi Evolution look like a Evolution (only the name and the logo of the car manufacturers

are missing). The race track (which is the whole Tokyo Highway system) look magnificent and you can't

help but wonder whether this is a real model of Tokyo highway. it did make me want to find out!

My only complaint here is that the demanding graphic do cause some slowdown at certain areas on the

race track but they are few and can be happily ignored.

screenshot_screen003.jpg

Graphics : 9/10

Sound:

We have the standard racing game sound effects in this game. Tires screeching, engine roaring etc.

The only unrealistic sound effects are the collision sound. it sound like you are crashing into an empty

box or something. The background music is also very average. Apart from a gem (a very interesting

rock song), most of the song made up of heavy techno and loud rock with no lyrics. Not as engaging

as the 1st TXR on DC.

Sound: 6.5/10

Controls:

A lot of people are turned off by the controls saying that the controls are not responsive. Those people

are the one that did not put their time into this game more than 1 hour. If you just started this game,

your car will be very unresponsive. THIS IS INTENTIONAL. You need to play more in order to upgrade

the car and get a better handling out of it!

This aside, DC controller really fit for this game with the default accelarator and brake buttons set at

the L & R shoulder buttons. The controls ARE really responsive once you tune your car to perfection.

Controls: 9/10 (responsive)

Gameplay:

screenshot_screen002.jpg

The main aspect of the game is the Quest mode. In this mode, you are a lone racer, trying to conquer

the world of Tokyo Highway racing by beating numerous racing team until you beat them all and become

the no.1 in Tokyo. This game use a special system where you are given the freedom to roam across

the highways, searching for your opponents. Once you have detect a suitable opponent, you can initiate

a race by simply flashing the headlight to the opponent. And the battle will begin at once, with no ending

goal in sight. You and your opponent will be given a life bar each and the objective is to deplete the life

bar. This bar can only be depleted by distancing yourself further and further from your opponent

(the bar will start to be depleted if you are ahead of opponent and vice versa), crashing into another

car or crashing into walls or stilts. An easy concept but not so easy to execute. The AI is quite brutal in

this game. The first few teams are easy to beat but as the game progresses, the opponents are getting

stronger and stronger, the cars are much faster and they can drift easily when turning. A nightmare

especially when you are fighting the bosses in this game (yes, there are bosses to beat in this game too,

and with interesting name and personality to boot). The only way is to get better car and parts to compete.

This game also features a very comprehensive tuning system. Once you have purchase the neccessary

parts for your car, you can then tune the car system to get the best out of it. You can tune the car to

accelerate better, drift better, getting a very strong chassis and so on in order to compete against

stronger opponents. Car lovers are going to love this game. The game also feature a large library

of opponents for you to beat, so it will take a while before you fully beat this game. The game also

feature special opponents called Wanderers which need you to do some special tasks before you are

able to challenge them. Interesting concept.

Quest mode aside, the game feature are quite lacking. The game has a Free mode where you can cruise

along the highways (which is useless in my opinion since you can do that in Quest mode!) and a Time

Attack mode where you try to beat a certain time limit at certain portion of the highway. Sadly, multiplayer

mode is taken out of TXR2 even though it is in the 1st TXR.

tokyoxr2_screen004.jpg

Gameplay: 8/10 (I am a fanboy so this score might be a little bit biased)

Overall:

Graphics : 9/10

Sound : 6.5/10

Control : 9/10

Gameplay: 8/10

Overall : 8/10

A very good racing game on DC with interesting concept. However, some people might not be interested

with these type of gameplay and might be turned off by the repetitive racing (uhhh, which racing game

doesn't feature repetitive racing?). However, delving into this game, and you will find a gem.

Great Review, This game is awesome. I also like Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero (PS2). But i Played Tokyo Extreme Racer 3 (PS2), And it is a complete disaster. The graphics are Ok, the sound is the same as the others but The highway cars consist of only one yellow bus! The car graphics was for some reason not as good as the DC version. The only good thing about the game was the boost feature but besides that, it isnt any better than The DC version. For some reason The DC version was a bit more enjoyable. :D

Great Review, This game is awesome. I also like Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero (PS2). But i Played Tokyo Extreme Racer 3 (PS2), And it is a complete disaster. The graphics are Ok, the sound is the same as the others but The highway cars consist of only one yellow bus! The car graphics was for some reason not as good as the DC version. The only good thing about the game was the boost feature but besides that, it isnt any better than The DC version. For some reason The DC version was a bit more enjoyable. :D

I 100% agreed with you! Even thoough there are some improvement in the PS2 version, like battling with two opponents at the same time, and endurance battle, this DC version still held superior in term of graphics and gameplay. Goes to show how good DC really is!

Yup, Plus the DC controller was better for it (except the almost guarantee blisters from playing MVC2 or Guilty Gear X) :D

I use Madcatz DC controller for fighting games. Way way better :bonk:

Hmm I didnt know you could drift. Now that I do, time to play some TER2!!! Nice review LSD!

Yes, you could. It take me about one hour just tuning the car and doing some road test on my current

FC :clapping::spam2:

• 2 weeks later...