The ULTIMATE Comprehensive Review of the GP2x Handheld (Videos + Pictures Included)

I think after reading the two comments above, a second review is needed at hand.

Personally, I thought the review seemed a little rushed. I thought the seeing it in action was pretty well done and showing its size was pretty good. However, Going through the system just for one time doesn't really give much basis for review. I think we should have at least tested this thing out for at least a week (excuse me if you did) or so, so that we would have gotten a better feel for it.

Edit: "We did not have much time to mess with the Atari emulator." <-- Since we had the handheld, I believe this line shouldn't have been there at all. It wasn't like we had a specific timeframe to put the review out.

Otherwise, I thought it was a pretty good thorough review for our first time, and it would be nice to see others.

Those gloves were weird, were you playing the handheld with those?

I am usually a Guest. I apologize for this having to be my first post. But.... I could not help but respond!

I think this review would go against the board rules for this forum because it is “inaccurate.”

This has got to be the worse review that I have ever seen written for the GP2X! So unprofessional and bias. It almost seems rushed to get something up for a review. His claim of having the experience of five years with emulators does not show!

Straight out of the box, within an hour, I had the Neo Geo emulator going full speed with sound. Jaw dropping, is what it was. I have over 60 Neo Geo games running full speed with sound! I am loving my Blazing Star, Far East of Eden, Fatal Fury 3, Last Blade 2, Garou, Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown, and King of Fighters. Neo Geo, Mame, Turbo Grafx 16, NES, and a host of the other emulators that I use run full speed with sound. And BobBorakovitz is right, it all depends on the speed of your SD card. I own over nine portable gaming systems and the GP2X is what I consider the best for any homebrew or emulator experience. And the quality of the system seems no different than many of my other systems. I am a retro gamer. I love homebrew. And I love portable gaming. The GP2X really rocks when it comes to portable gaming! I think the author of this article needs to go back and fiddle with his GP2X for a while, learn how to use it and then do another review. I have had a very positive experience with mine. I really don't understand why people continuously compare the GP2X to the PSP and the DS. The PSP and the DS are commercial plug and play systems. The GP2X is best viewed as a portable computer optimized for emulation, homebrew, and various other multimedia functions. And it excels in doing this! The GP2X is the king of emulation and homebrew IMO!

Great Post rmatheso! Your right!! And BobBorakovitz, you are so right on!!

For the record: I am no Linux guru or developer, I am just your average video gamer and would highly recommend this to anyone that enjoys retro gaming and is capable of loading up an emulator on their PC and getting it running.

You would think the author of this article would at least do a little investigation so he could give an in depth sound accurate review, being that he is a gamer. He sounds more like a fanboy than someone who is capable of making an honest assessment of something and giving a comprehensive opinion. I could care less whether or not any of you purchase this neat little system, I do care that you have an honest truthful report so that you can make an informed decision.

edit: I hope there is a reconsideration and an update to this review!

Edited by darkman

Actually, I am back now. I admit, the review was a bit rushed and I'll be retyping many parts of it and correcting some errors I made. I deeply apologize if the review offended or angered anyone. It was not my intention.

Actually, I am back now. I admit, the review was a bit rushed and I'll be retyping many parts of it and correcting some errors I made. I deeply apologize if the review offended or angered anyone. It was not my intention.

The score you gave was fairly accurate, but it made absolutely no sense after reading the negative review how it scored so high. Also, when you 'retype it' try not to sound like a PSP fanboi, and don't even bother recommending the DS for an emulation system, it is not a very good one at all.

Actually try to get some of the emulators to work instead of jumping to the conclusion that they suck.

Ditch the gloves for gods sake man! no wonder you had such a hard time at Duke Nukem! That video doesn't exactly scream 'experience with emulation for over 5 years.' It looks really really bad.

Errrr.. I'll be responding to all of your comments soon. There is a proper explanation for everything. But seeing as you guys have already spit and took a crap on this review, it may take a while for me to gather my thoughts. Please be patient.