The ULTIMATE Comprehensive Review of the GP2x Handheld (Videos + Pictures Included)

-- UPDATED EMULATION/GAMING NEWS WILL BE POSTED BELOW --

1Emulation is proud to present to you our review of the GP2x handheld system by Gamepark Holdings. This is a milestone for us because it is our first hardware review. This would not have been possible with the help of Play-Asia. So check out our review and tell us what you think of it and the GP2x in our forums.

gp2xwy1.gif

--> Digg this Review!

»» Read the Review

»» Comment on the Review (Must be Registered on the Forums!)

»» Register on 1Emulation.Com!

-- UPDATED EMULATION/GAMING NEWS WILL BE POSTED BELOW --

Good review, sorry to say it has helped me make the decision to NOT buy a GP2X.

I'm not much a fan of handhelds, as I tend to break portable stuff easily.......but I was hoping this thing would be my "Portable Xbox" sans games..........it appears it's rather lacking for anything but videos/music, which I can get much cheaper in a dedicated video player.

Nive review, but I still prefer my PSP and DS. :naughty:

P.S.

Did you get all of that stuff for free (Or just cheap)? If so... can I review something? :D For example... The Nintendo Wii when it comes out? ;)

Edited by Mooney

What a bunch of crap.

Neo Geo Emulation not good enough? PSP and DS are better. Dude WTF?

Neo Geo absolutely rocks on GP2X. It is the only portable console that can play ALL AES/MVS Neo Geo games at fullspeed. PSP just can't with it's limited 32meg of ram. Yes, you do have to overclock to 266 but you have to overclock with the PSP as well!

I'm not knockin the PSP, it's has it's good and bad points too.

The reviewer obviously missed the point that the GP2X is not a plug and play system. You have to fiddle around with the emulators a bit to get the top performance. He obviously tried everything once and determined that it was crap, instead of reading up about it on www.gp32x.com and updating the emulators and so on. It would have taken him a good month to go over everything in depth but there is a difference in expectations between a new GP2X User (Going WTF. Why doesn't this work?) and an experienced GP2X user (The new emu came out with the MMU hack, damn that's a 20fps increase!) is obvious.

He should have done his research and taken some more time to get everything working properly before the final judgement. For a guy who is a veteran emulation junkie, the review is very N00Bish. "Ultimate" should be nowhere in the title.

Anyhow, freaking 60fps in Samurai Showdown 5 Special with UniBios hacked full fatalities and blood says my GP2X kicks ass.

;)

Edited by rmatheso

What a bunch of crap.

Neo Geo Emulation not good enough? PSP and DS are better. Dude WTF?

Neo Geo absolutely rocks on GP2X. It is the only portable console that can play ALL AES/MVS Neo Geo games at fullspeed. PSP just can't with it's limited 32meg of ram. Yes, you do have to overclock to 266 but you have to overclock with the PSP as well!

I'm not knockin the PSP, it's has it's good and bad points too.

The reviewer obviously missed the point that the GP2X is not a plug and play system. You have to fiddle around with the emulators a bit to get the top performance. He obviously tried everything once and determined that it was crap, instead of reading up about it on www.gp32x.com and updating the emulators and so on. It would have taken him a good month to go over everything in depth but there is a difference in expectations between a new GP2X User (Going WTF. Why doesn't this work?) and an experienced GP2X user (The new emu came out with the MMU hack, damn that's a 20fps increase!) is obvious.

He should have done his research and taken some more time to get everything working properly before the final judgement. For a guy who is a veteran emulation junkie, the review is very N00Bish. "Ultimate" should be nowhere in the title.

Anyhow, freaking 60fps in Samurai Showdown 5 Special with UniBios hacked full fatalities and blood says my GP2X kicks ass.

:blink:

I agree with your statements 100%! I've had my Gp2x since the beginning, I have the first edition and have had almost NO problems with it. I own a DS AND a PSP and I think that the GP2x is the best out of the 3 unless you like crappy rehashes of current console games. Gp2x DEFFINATELY get's much more play out of me than the other 2. But, all in all, the 2x is no comparison because it's not really a commercial handheld unit. It's MEANT for homebrew. If you're expecting big budget commercial games, go look elsewhere.

I think he was negative about the unit before even buying it. He didn't even try to figure it all out. Read near the end about the Utility section. He states that they're there to fix flaws in the system. But then he gives 3 examples of utilities that ENHANCE the system, not fix flaws. Is overclocking a flaw? How pathetic. Read through it again and tell me otherwise! ;)

Neo-Geo works GREAT! I play SVC:Chaos on my 2x and it works lovely, provided you have a fast SD card. I have the same SD card he has also and it's crap slow. If he got a REALLY FAST SD card and tried it again, he'd find that it's the best program on the 2x. I get NO crashes in the menu, but I use an addon menu with pics and more settings called Rage2x, it makes the experience a lot nicer. Overall, he gave Gngeo2x NO chance. How sad is that for a reviewer?

Also, he makes it seem like overclocking is a big chore or something....and that it's gonna hurt the chip or degrade the life of it... that's just plain WRONG. I have a GP32 and it's been overclocked it's entire life and it's still kicking perfectly. And that's with a TON of usage and being carried around, dropped, etc. Overclocking is nothing more than a setting you choose, it doesn't get any easier than that.

Another thing is that he chose a NES emulator that isn't the best choice. FishyNES has been discontinued, the compatibility is crap on it. He must not have played many games on it. But if he would've bothered to do some research, he'd have found that the best NES emulator is GPFCE, it runs beautifully and has great compatibility.

The Sega Genesis he makes it seem like it emulates the 32x console when it doesn't. Once again, research would've provided that info. Hell, the freaking readme says that! The reviewer should research his statements if he's not sure about it. Take your time next time you review something.

MAME - I love how he is dissappointed that SF2 doesn't run, then says that he wanted to play more classic games on it! HAHAHA SF2 is NOT an arcade classic. If you want to play the real classics, it actually plays them great. Pacman, Asteroids, Tron, Robotron(!), Donkey Kong series, Missile Command, Dig Dug, Mr Do, hell I can even play Megaman Power Battles full speed with sound, so I don't know what you're on about here. Once again, you didn't even try. Negative from the gate.

SNES - obviously he has no experience emulating SNES on any handhelds. NO HANDHELD GAMING SYSTEM CAN PLAY SNES AT FULL SPEED! The processor just isn't fast enough for a simple port. If someone codes an emulator from scratch for the 2x, it'd be perfect. This is due to an overly complex sound chip in combination with all of the SNES's fancy graphics modes that make it slow. IE: Mode7, transparency, etc.

Another frustrating thing was that during his bashing, he didn't even mention the fact that there are practicly no mentions from anyone about dead pixels unlike the PSP & the screen has no crappy ghosting unlike the PSP. And he didn't mention any the great homebrew games either.

Overall, I give this review a big thumbs down due to the fact that he didn't even try or give it a chance before giving parts of it bad reviews. It's just depressing because I visit here pretty much everyday because I thought you guys had the best emulation news around. You're even on my linkbar in firefox. I'm just really disappointed. I guess I thought you guys knew what you were talking about when it comes to emulation.

PS - What's up with the gloves? Are you a burn victim or something? lol

And watching you play Duke Nukem was really painful, i wanted to poke my eyes out with a fork