Violence & Video Games

My Full Two Cents

I guess I should put in my two cents in the whole situation here. I believe that people who blame video games as the sole cause of the disturbance in our culture have an invalid point here. The thing is, there are a great number of elements in our culture that contribute or influence a child's behavior. The human mind is so complex and identifying only a single culprit seems illogical. Also, it's interesting how people are more concerned with playing the blame game then actually fixing the problem at hand.

What do you guys think?

I once played a RTS called Rival Realm. Sometimes, I placed tons of peasants around a strong character and see them get killed. For me, I just think it's fun, and I'm not violent. I think games don't make people violent, just surroundings and people they see and meet that influences them. Out of 100 games, 90 games' main character is a hero. But has all gamers become heros? My answer is NO. So why might games make human violent but not make them heros?

My Full Two Cents

I guess I should put in my two cents in the whole situation here. I believe that people who blame video games as the sole cause of the disturbance in our culture have an invalid point here. The thing is, there are a great number of elements in our culture that contribute or influence a child's behavior. The human mind is so complex and identifying only a single culprit seems illogical. Also, it's interesting how people are more concerned with playing the blame game then actually fixing the problem at hand.

What do you guys think?

I agree; the soldiers in both World Wars didn't have video games and they killed plenty of people. :)

I think video games are fine as it is. Ratings are good but need to be enforced a bit more by those stores who sell them. The kid plus the parents know what they're getting into when they buy a violent game. To me, it's really up to them to recognize when that the game is just a game or to turn the game off. When news about that Europe detox center came out, there should be a few here. Some kids shouldn't really be playing video games because it really is designed, in my opinion, to be a stress reliever and to have fun.

People who blame games for everything are extremely narrow-minded and place blame onto the most obvious culprit in their own minds without actually researching or even trying to understand video games at all.

people just dont want to do their own parenting/take responsibility for their actions so they pick an easy target

something popular/common

A long time ago they used to say people who played Dungeons and Dragons became violent and stuff....pffft yeah right its a board game lol, and if my understanding of it is correct you make up what happens, so the game is really only as violent as you make it, and you had to have heard/seen these bits of violence you made up somewhere else, or at least be inspired by something else to think of it, so thats crap