Intel Core 2 Extreme Vs. Athlon 64 FX

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/02/thg...test/index.html

holy freakin GOD that is an amazing computer, They converted an entire DVD to MP4 DivX in less than 4 minutes?!?!!? I cant be reading this right. WTFFFFF and the FRAMERATES

I CANNOT STOP SH1TTING MYSELF, PLEASE SEND HELP

AND TP

At least i know what im buying for my multimedia classes in college now...jesus christ...Cant your eyes only see at like 70FPS? WHY IS THIS NEEDED?!?!? Actually i take that back, this is going to make my video editing soooooo much easier

They converted an entire DVD to MP4 DivX in less than 4 minutes?!?!!? I cant be reading this right.
Err.... no. They converted a 5 minute snippet of the Terminator 2 SE movie in less than 4 minutes.

E6600 will be my next CPU. Forget the X2 4800+

It's about time Intel released something I am interested in buying. But by the time I feel I am ready to upgrade AMD will have released their K8L update so that could possibly outdo these Intels.

ive always kinda liked AMD better for some reason though

Me too, for no good reason. I'll stick with AMD in the future, regardless of which manufacturer makes faster processors.

Make it stop:

AMD has announced CPU price cuts this month. This week, AMD announced the FX series of CPUs will be included in the price cuts. Up to 46%! I'll believe it when I see it.

I was browsing TigerDirect.com and found this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...p?EdpNo=1271576

Read it again. $299 after rebate?

$299 after rebate.

$299 after rebate!

$299 after rebate!!!!

Don't mean crap now when you have the new Conroe 2 that come out at the end of the month that CRUSH AMD now....

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93GHz 4MB $999

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz 4MB $530

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz 4MB $316 <-- Beats an AMD 64FX-62

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz 2MB $224

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz 2MB $183

Intel Pentium D 945 3.40GHz 2MBx2 $163

Intel Pentium D 915 2.80GHz 2MBx2 $133

Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz 1MBx2 $113

Intel Pentium D 805 2.66GHz 1MBx2 $93

If you haven't read all the reviews that came out last week then you may want to read on them if looking to upgrade.

Here is a pretty even coverage report...

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showd...?i=2795&p=1

Lots more links here to read on....

http://www.nvnews.net/cgi-bin/search_news....amp;firstform=1

True, but for existing socket 939 owners, that would require upgrading to a completely new platform. The E6600 will be tough to find at launch. Maybe I'll see them on store shelves in late August.

Still wouldn't be that much to upgrade, another $150 maybe and to have a PC that is as fast or faster than an FX-62. Plus all thee Intels are Dual Core, which is now starting to be written in software.

I mean..c'mon..look at these cpu bound games scores on the 2 high end chips...

cpumq3.png

And if you are an overclocker..Andand had to say....

To provide some idea of overclocking abilities with other Core 2 Duo processors, we ran quick tests with E6700 (2.67GHz), and E6600 (2.4GHz). The test E6700 reached a stable 3.4GHz at default voltage and topped out at 3.9GHz with the Tuniq Cooler. The 2.4GHz E6600 turned out to be quite an overclocker in our tests. Even though it was hard-locked at a 9 multiplier it reached an amazing 4GHz in the overclocking tests. That represents a 67% overclock.

67% OVERCLOCK!?!? :D

yeah wow, im going to be able to edit videos so much faster now

For just PC gaming though, its still waste, your eyes only see at 70FPS, and i doubt the load times are THAT much faster

The figure I heard was 85, but whatever.

Gaming.. meh it won't lift the cpu bottleneck up all that much- that's still a vid card thing. Same load times except replace vid card with hdd / ram clocks.

Also I don't know about video editing- I use Avid Mediacomposer on a P4 3.06, 1GB ram and I don't have any issues at all- I work with HD video mostly. Realtime rendering is always turned on- I suppose bouncing down at the end might be faster but I wouldn't upgrade just for that. That's just me though- I got excited when you mentioned that's what you were buying it for. I suppose if you used AfterEffects extensively or were transcoding large chunks of footage a lot then this would be useful.

yeah wow, im going to be able to edit videos so much faster now

For just PC gaming though, its still waste, your eyes only see at 70FPS, and i doubt the load times are THAT much faster

Official PC gaming certainly doesn't require this kind of hardware. Emulators may demand this kind of hardware though; doesn't the PCSX2 emulator recommend a server CPU like this to increase its framerate on some games to about 60 FPS? :devilboy:

Edited by garyoak99