Why is the music of today so horrible?

Alpha

You know, lately, all I have been doing is listening to either my old records from the early 80's or have been listening to Internet Radio solely that only plays 70's to 90's music. The music today is just terrible. I can't stand flipping through the pop/punk radio stations. It's either classic rock or nothing. Most of all, I really despise the remakes of some 80's songs that have been going on. The best example is Britney Spears "My Perogative", taken word for word from Bobbie Brown's "My Perogative". Another is No Doubt's "It's my life" taken word for word from Talk Talk's "It's my life". Originality is non-existant in the music industry (probably movie industry too, but different story) and the best example of this is on shows such as American Idol. If it were me running the show, I'd ask them to create the song word for word. A person is only a good singer if he or she can create a song themselves and run with it. You have to have the mind and voice, not one or the other.

Do you believe it's possible we can have another 80's age, maybe in the 2010's perhaps? :roll1:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in answering the question of your topic......

Because record labels will give anyone a contract regardless of talent. If they think the person/group can pull off at least a 1-hit-wonder and give off an attracting image, they'll grab it and run.

Why do you think we see many bands with a great song, and then you hear the rest of their album and it REALLY REALLY sucks?

I'd say complete lack of originality. Everything that's being done right now has been done before (again and again and again).

I believe today's pop music is horrible because the companies that put the crap out in the first place discovered that MTV drones will buy it out of conspicuity.

In addition, I believe that they (the companies, firms, etc) hire people to go out and buy and/or listen to today's pop (keeping in mind that its crap) so that it'll appear at the top of the charts out of nowhere. Then other people will buy it and listen to it while pretending to like it. If the respective company's management observese that they've made made back the cost of capital (cost of production, employment, manufacturing, etc etc), they will eventually reinvest that money and do the same thing all over again.

Edited by Weirdy

Just in answering the question of your topic......

Because record labels will give anyone a contract regardless of talent. If they think the person/group can pull off at least a 1-hit-wonder and give off an attracting image, they'll grab it and run.

Why do you think we see many bands with a great song, and then you hear the rest of their album and it REALLY REALLY sucks?

Very true, I believe this trend did actually start in the 80's, but really has gone out of control. For example, I'll admit I'm a Madonna fan and most of her songs on my CD's have been very enjoyable. But lately, her latest CD's are awful. And yep, only the first song was slightly good. (after the album: RAY OF LIGHT) I find it a shame that even the platinum artists have to come back and think the only way to match the industry of today is to reproduce frisbee CD's as well..

At least be original.

Which is why 99% of my music is video game music. One of the rare music "genres" (although it's more like all the existing genres in one) where there's still innovation and originality remaining. Too bad it's not mainstream, except maybe in Japan.

I haven't bought a record in ~6 years. Plus, all the DRM and copy-protection schemes is more than enough of a reason to stay the flock away.

And yes, the endless parade of pop icons whose records have maybe 2 songs you like and the rest is utter garbage. Stores change €20+ for CDs.

Which is why 99% of my music is video game music. One of the rare music "genres" (although it's more like all the existing genres in one) where there's still innovation and originality remaining. Too bad it's not mainstream, except maybe in Japan.

I haven't bought a record in ~6 years.

I agree that video game music is very original. The Street Fighter series for one probably has the best video game music ever made IMHO. It has an unforgetable beat and rhythm at every screen. However, I don't think I could ONLY listen to game music as you say you do. I can't see myself putting in a CD listening to Street Fighter's Zangief while I'm driving. If I want to hear it, I'll take out the old Super Nintendo and play the game. I've also seen this Dance Dance Revolution, people ripping songs from that and listening to it. Again, it's not the same. To me, it's like comparing professional wrestling.. WWE = Real Music / ECW (for now) = Video Game Music.

EDIT: Boy, that is a terrible comparison, let me know if you can think of a better one. :roll1:

Haha, well yes you do have a point there. Then again, I don't really listen to music anywhere else than on my computer. I need to get a portable MP3 player so I can take some tunes to school with me.

The music of today is just as good as the music of yesterday. In fact, I think it's better, as I love metal, and there's more metal now than ever. So I actually disagree with that statement fully.

It's this topic is totally open to debate based on various views.

Take this for example. There are some willing to keep rehashing the same styles of play over and over, but there are otheres willing to push themselves beyond what they can do.

IMO, this year, isn't an amazing year yet. Little things popped up, but didn't do anything great. A grundgier Pearl Jam album(Better then the last 3), a more radio friendly Red Hot Chili Peppers' album (Weaker then the last 2), a little salute with Thom Yorke's solo album (still waiting on that new Radiohead album!) and some brand new Frank Black material (woooo Fastman, Riderman!).

Last 2 years was a bore on the album release front, but excellent on the live concert end. 2003 was THE year for music. New released galore and excellent new material debuting. As with 2001 and 1999.

It's a continuing trend, it's here to stay, pick your spots when the new year brings in, this year could end up being extremely sucessful on the music front. And there's still a few more months left, so best to leave the judegement until the year is over.

The music of today is just as good as the music of yesterday. In fact, I think it's better, as I love metal, and there's more metal now than ever. So I actually disagree with that statement fully.

Well, I'm no metal (except some White Snake, Pantera, and Kilgore) and country fan.. so you got me there partner. :roll1: